What model Infinity speakers are these?

no, you are right...The III's are limited by the size of the bass drivers...but, a proper sub will cure that (not a lot of money) and you get the parts of the speaker that shine, and the bottom will also be taken care of...

Glad to know my ears are not lying. Unfortunately I have little interest in adding a sub-woofer .. just not my thing ..

III's are different animals than the IIIa and IIIb, which have 10" woofers and polydome mids. the 1250 had plenty of juice to drive the III's, but 8" woofers can only give so much. also, the pic you posted seems to show mismatched woofers which could be the issue. there are not many who would put the III on their must have list (hence the "red headed step child" reference). personally, i'd suggest you wait for something better. at that price point there are several options in the infinity line up.

I still don't see the mistmatched drivers - do you mean they are mismatched on one of the speakers, or there is a one on each speaker that does not look matched to the other one? Either way, the seller said he's not done anything to them other than the refoaming.

Given what I am reading, I think I am going to pass on these and keep looking. I hope to someday find a nice set of Infinity in the future.

Just a shot in the dark, are those woofers wired correctly?
Sometimes, after a refoam job, speakers with two woofers end up not being wired correctly (out of phase?) and the low end suffers.
Those Infinitys are not the amp killers other models are. I'd still think the more power the better, to a point of course.
As mentioned, they are sort of the red headed step child in the Infinity lineup and don't show up all that often.

Just a shot in the dark, are those woofers wired correctly?
Sometimes, after a refoam job, speakers with two woofers end up not being wired correctly (out of phase?) and the low end suffers.

Hmm, that's something I never even considered! How to check this?

(Sent from my mobile, please pardon my spelling)

Hmm, that's something I never even considered! How to check this?

(Sent from my mobile, please pardon my spelling)

As mentioned before, Klaus' site is a great resource for Infinity information.
That said, *some* Infinity models have been known to have crossover (and wiring?) variances from the "official" schematics.
Here's a link to the "official" RSIII schematic, hopefully if it varies from the actual wiring a member here will point out the differences. It may or may not be correct in regards to the woofer wiring.
http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_III_technical_sheet.pdf

Glad to know my ears are not lying. Unfortunately I have little interest in adding a sub-woofer .. just not my thing ..

I still don't see the mistmatched drivers - do you mean they are mismatched on one of the speakers, or there is a one on each speaker that does not look matched to the other one? Either way, the seller said he's not done anything to them other than the refoaming.

Given what I am reading, I think I am going to pass on these and keep looking. I hope to someday find a nice set of Infinity in the future.

the speakers shown in your photo have different size dust caps on the upper vs the lower woofers. originally the woofers would have all been identical. that could suggest a woofer-ectomy took place at one point and you could have some non-original drivers in there.

i'm a vintage infinity guy as much as anyone, but i'd pass on these, especially at that price point. don't let misguided enthusiasm goad you into something you won't be happy with (you're already not happy with). you can certainly do better. infinity certainly did better.

I've seen other pairs of double woofer Infinitys on ebay with similar woofer dust cap differences.
Factory original or replacement(later model woofer) I always wondered...or something so simple as dust cap replacement after shimming for refoam?

I've seen other pairs of double woofer Infinitys on ebay with similar woofer dust cap differences.
Factory original or replacement(later model woofer) I always wondered...or something so simple as dust cap replacement after shimming for refoam?

the speakers shown in your photo have different size dust caps on the upper vs the lower woofers. originally the woofers would have all been identical. that could suggest a woofer-ectomy took place at one point and you could have some non-original drivers in there.

Thanks guys, I see it now. I had a feeling that those two are woofers are not putting out enough, and now I am starting to think perhaps these may not be original. The low end seemed pretty low even for 8" woofers.

i'm a vintage infinity guy as much as anyone, but i'd pass on these, especially at that price point. don't let misguided enthusiasm goad you into something you won't be happy with (you're already not happy with). you can certainly do better. infinity certainly did better.

I think this is really sage advice. As much as I like how these speakers look and how nice the mid/upper ends sound, I really feel they are missing something. Perhaps that is from design, or from the rework that's been done on these. I don't want to spend the money and regret later, so I will pass on these ..

I will keep looking for another set, and will ask for advice if/when I see a pair. I really appreciate all of you who have given advice/suggestions to help guide me with this pair. This forum rocks.

Back
Top Bottom