Mc275 with Tung Sol 6550

robertnjax

Is there anyone that is using the reissue Tung Sol 6550 tubes in the McIntosh MC275 amplifier?

I could not find any threads out there on this topic. Just curious about how they sound with the MC275:music:

Thanks

:lurk:

Sorry I can't help but I am very impressed with the Tung-Sol reissue tall bottle 6l6G's in the MC40's.

Tung Sol 6550 reissues are my favorite of the new production KT88/6550's I've tried which include Gold Lions, Sovteks, and EH. My amps are MC60 and MC75.

I have a original MC-275 and have had EH 6550's, Penta Labs KT-88's and now Tung-Sol 6550 reissues in it and they sound every bit as good as the Penta Labs and better than the EH.

Used the reissue TungSol 6550s in my MC275MkV and 60th Anniv MC75s and thought they were better for vocals than the reissue GL KT-88s. They have the best mids of any power-tube I've tried in the MC275/MC75.

Used the reissue 6550s as well, but not in Mc. I have used them in Altec 350A monoblocs and frankly I think they sound brilliant. Best part of the Tung sol reissues are build quality and the amazingly inexpensive price (compared to other stuff).

I guess I need to give Jim a call. The Gold Lions do sound pretty good though. I think having good strong Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates and Siemens ECC801s (12AT7) signal tubes helps a lot with the sound.

I still want to try the Psvane KT-88 from Grant fidelity at $166 a quad. Supposed to sound less harsh than the Russian tubes. It will have to wait until the kitchen remodel is done.

...I think having good strong Telefunken 12AX7 smooth plates...helps a lot with the sound...

Couldn't agree more. I harvest them from Fisher receivers (sometimes a full compliment of eight or nine) and use them in everything.

6550 f0r the MC275

I believe the HT supply voltage has been raised on this version of the amplifier.

I would call Mcintosh to see if you can run 6550 instead. I think the 6550 has a lower max. plate and screen voltage so I would proceed with caution.

6550 for the MC275

New to this so I am not sure if the prior message I sent went through.

I believe the mark 6 version of the MC275 runs a much higher HT voltage. The 6550 has a lower Max plate and screen spec compared to the 6550 from my recollection.

I would err on the side of caution and call Mcintosh to see if this swap is safe.

6550 in MC75 60th Anniversary?

May I assume that Tung Sol 6550 Reissue will be ok in my MC75 60th Anniversaries too?

As long as the 6550 follows the original GE / Tungsol design curves it will work fine in a McIntosh amp.

thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom