Pioneer wood Cases for the sx

Looks great. Any chance of getting a pic of the inside to get an idea on construction technique? Thanks.

That cabinet looks very nice.
What tools would be required to undertake such a job?
I'm guessing you are an experienced woodworker.

I'm a reasonably decent woodworker and I'd want a miter saw, router and table saw. I could substitute a circular saw, straight edge and clamps for the table saw if needed.

I just thought I'd add something else.
I just noticed something.
Being made from solid timber, you will get the colour variation as you cut 'through' the timber and as you cut 'across'.
Note the tops of the sides relative to the flat centre section.
Veneering would eliminate this, but there is something special about a solid cabinet.

I just thought I'd add something else.
I just noticed something.
Being made from solid timber, you will get the colour variation as you cut 'through' the timber and as you cut 'across'.
Note the tops of the sides relative to the flat centre section.
Veneering would eliminate this, but there is something special about a solid cabinet.

I'm not sure I follow you. Here are some of the genuine, solid, hardwood cases I've made. The face shows the end grain and the top and sides show the long grain. The color looks consistent to me....

IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2028.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2003.JPG

Take another look at your 1st pic.
I was going off that.
I don't see any variances in your later pics.
Maybe it was a lighting thing.

Take another look at your 1st pic.
I was going off that.
I don't see any variances in your later pics.
Maybe it was a lighting thing.

The 1st pic... maybe you are talking about the original poster's image in the very first post in this thread? I'm guessing that image shows two different kinds of wood... or maybe two different pieces of the same species.

Here are some closeups of two cases, one in mahogany and the other in black walnut, made from the same piece of wood (sides and tops) and showing the end grain look versus the side grain look. The only finish on these is tung oil.

IMG_2183.png IMG_2184.png IMG_2185.png

SX-780/ SX-880 wood case I just finished. figured mahogany.

I'm really jealous of the nice routing job for a perfect drop-in of the original vent. Did you do it by hand (I mean, with a handheld router)? With a CNC?

Back
Top Bottom