Stax Sr80 and SRDX Combo need help on matching amp and pads

hearhead

I recently had a STAX SR80 and SRDX Combo restored by a local tech and he did an outstanding job with the SRDX and the SR80 just needed a lot of playing and are now starting to bloom.

However I feel that the combo has more to give in terms of low end definition, headroom and dynamics, that's why I'm asking if this combo has a better match in terms of amplification. I'm not a bass head and I listen mostly to classic rock and jazz (I stay away from Hip Hop and EDM as a preference) so my bass expectations are still pretty lean.

Don't get me wrong, I've grown to love this pair of earspeakers but I have a nagging feeling that they can be more optimized.

Currently I run them with a Project Headbox that I alternate with a Sansui AUD607G with a headphone amp and I mostly listen to vinyl using a Technics SL1200 mk2 or some FLAC via a Macbook Pro Retina.

I read somewhere that I can connect the SRDX to a stereo speaker amp out? (I could be wrong about this)

Also, Any suggestions on an earpad tweak, mod or replacement and will this enhance my listening experience?

Thanks!

Here are some pics of the STAX combo:

DSC_8693_zps046fdbd9.jpg~original

I really love my airbow sr-sc-11 with my srm727ii. If you buy the amp used and get the airbow's from pricejapan you should come in under $2k. It's either that or modify a koss esp950 to run off the 727ii. I hate to say it but anything under this and I'm more of a planar/dynamic fan. Allot of sennheiser hd600 and 800 setups are also very stax like imo.

I have also found that stax earspeakers and vinyl do not mix. The earspeakers are hard to drive and my sp25 table and records are a bit quieter, especially pre 80', than my auralic dac using the xlr, and most dac's for that matter. If I were to build a stax setup I would make sure that a dac was my primary source and my sp25 table is not connected to the 727ii, just the dac.

If your dead set on the sl-1200 being your main and only source I would think about an hd600/800 setup. It should deliver that effortless micro detail that to me defines the stax sound. There will also be allot and I mean allot more amps available although the 600 and 800 are quite picky. I like meier amps for senn.'s and if you want to get "crazy" amp wise the senn.'s scale like crazy with many people using the $2k Ecp l-2 and $2700 dna stratus without complaint about the price.

I really love my airbow sr-sc-11 with my srm727ii. If you buy the amp used and get the airbow's from pricejapan you should come in under $2k. It's either that or modify a koss esp950 to run off the 727ii. I hate to say it but anything under this and I'm more of a planar/dynamic fan. Allot of sennheiser hd600 and 800 setups are also very stax like imo.

I have also found that stax earspeakers and vinyl do not mix. The earspeakers are hard to drive and my sp25 table and records are a bit quieter, especially pre 80', than my auralic dac using the xlr, and most dac's for that matter. If I were to build a stax setup I would make sure that a dac was my primary source and my sp25 table is not connected to the 727ii, just the dac.

If your dead set on the sl-1200 being your main and only source I would think about an hd600/800 setup. It should deliver that effortless micro detail that to me defines the stax sound. There will also be allot and I mean allot more amps available although the 600 and 800 are quite picky. I like meier amps for senn.'s and if you want to get "crazy" amp wise the senn.'s scale like crazy with many people using the $2k Ecp l-2 and $2700 dna stratus without complaint about the price.

Thanks.
I also use a Macbook to play FLAC files and I'm thinking of a DAC for this.

I would want to use the SRDX and would want some suggestions as to what amp or line source I should pair it with.

However, Ive been eyeing the SennHD600 for awhile now and I'm glad to know of your recommendation.

As of now Im more keen on optimising the Stax Sr80 SRDX Combo

:music:

Can anybody recommend a custom earpad maker? Not too keen on getting an original stax replacment earpad as these gor for at least 100 dollars

Back
Top Bottom