Yamaha P2250 amp

mmays

I recently unexpectedly won a auction for a p2250, i had forgotten that i had it in my bid sniper. I thought I had gotten a really good buy, but I looked at past auctions and all of them sold fairly cheap. I had assumed it was from the same lineage as the pc2002, but apparently it is not. Aside from meters and a little more power, the specsheet of the two look pretty similar. I looked at all the reviews i could find and most seemed pleased with the performance. So, my question is what is it about the pc line that makes them so much more valuable. Is the amp i got that much inferior (I don't have it yet)? Perhaps it is just one of those amps that flies under the radar?

This is my first piece of yamaha gear so I am not sure what to expect.

I think some folks don't like the P2250 fan. I have a P2250 and have never heard the fan while listening to music. Frankly, I think the P2250 kicks but for the price it brings. It can also be easily bridged with another P2250 for some really serious watts and has a relay to protect speakers at startup. The P2250 is quite heavy too. I think you may be pleasantly surprised if it's in good working condition. I've never had a pc line amp (though I do have a P2200) so I probably should not have replied but I wanted to give some props to the P2250.

I think some folks don't like the P2250 fan. I have a P2250 and have never heard the fan while listening to music. Frankly, I think the P2250 kicks but for the price it brings. It can also be easily bridged with another P2250 for some really serious watts and has a relay to protect speakers at startup. The P2250 is quite heavy too. I think you may be pleasantly surprised if it's in good working condition. I've never had a pc line amp (though I do have a P2200) so I probably should not have replied but I wanted to give some props to the P2250.

Thanks for the feedback moejoe. It will be replacing an old crest fa-800. I liked the crest very much, just had the itch for something different. I've always heard people say great things about these older yamaha lines. So i figure even if i dont like it, getting my money back on it shouldn't be a problem. And you are right, it is a beast, it cost almost as much to get it shipped as the price of the amp.

Well i have had the 2250 for a few days now. It sounds ok, not terribly impressed. When i got it, i took the cover off and it basically looked like the RMS titanic. I spent several hours cleaning it. So, i get all cleaned up and notice the fan is very weak. I replaced it with a 120 pc fan i had laying around and no change. It runs very hot. Being that i didnt pay alot for it, i suppose i will just use it till it burns down. I couldnt sell it with a clear conscious. Think I will stick with crest or ashly in the future. I really wanted to love you yanaha, it just wasnt meant to be.

Don't know anything about the 2250, but your comment that it runs hot makes me wonder if the bias/dc offset are correct and can be adjusted.

Don't know anything about the 2250, but your comment that it runs hot makes me wonder if the bias/dc offset are correct and can be adjusted.
Bias...needs to be looked at. DC offset won't make it run hot.

avionic... assuming it is the bias, how expensive of a repair would that be, generally speaking?

Not much if you have a digital multimeter, some clip-tip probes that will hang onto the test points without slipping or touching anything else, and a bit of mechanical and electronics sense.

Here's a page on HiFi Engine that has a downloadable service manual. You need to register as a member to download it, but the site is really handy for a lot of electronics, both consumer and professional:

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/yamaha/p2250.shtml

Check page 10 of the manual for instructions on how to check and adjust bias and offset.

Also, are you using the amp in a consumer home environment or in a professional application using a mixer or similar to drive it? Remember that the sensitivity is a bit lower (takes more voltage to drive it) than usual for consumer gear.

Its in a consumer environment. I did take a look at it and the manual from hifi engine. I dont have a multimeter with clamps so it would be difficult to adjust it with 2 hands :). I'll probably take into my local tech, he is pretty reasonable.
At least that way I will be able to sell it.

Well, that will work out. However, you still might take a listen to it after its been checked out.

You can likely still get a set of small alligator clip leads from Radio Shack for $5. But, better hurry as they are closing another 1100 stores. Too bad. Looks like everything will soon require a several day wait and shipping cost from ordering off the internet. Good time to own UPS/FedEx stock.

I recently unexpectedly won a auction for a p2250, i had forgotten that i had it in my bid sniper. I thought I had gotten a really good buy, but I looked at past auctions and all of them sold fairly cheap. I had assumed it was from the same lineage as the pc2002, but apparently it is not. Aside from meters and a little more power, the specsheet of the two look pretty similar. I looked at all the reviews i could find and most seemed pleased with the performance. So, my question is what is it about the pc line that makes them so much more valuable. Is the amp i got that much inferior (I don't have it yet)? Perhaps it is just one of those amps that flies under the radar?

This is my first piece of yamaha gear so I am not sure what to expect.
Can’t answer that question, but where were you bidding on the P2250?

That's unfortunate, but I will keep looking. Question- assuming that you are enjoying your P2250 in some way or another- hopefully in a home audio situation what do you have it hooked up to? I'm trying to get mine into a dynamic slave mode where the input music from my RX-V 365 receiver totally controls the output power for a second set of front speakers.

Thank you for your service! I'm a vietnam era Navy guy from VA-164 "The Ghostriders". It was a good start for my career in avionics/military field service and fixing my Yamaha P2250 basket case!

Back
Top Bottom