Question on the Yamaha DSP-A3090

So I hooked up the A3090 today and... it sounds pretty damn good alright, I think it is above and beyond my Denon AVR-3805 in 2 channel mode. Now I don't have thousand-dollar amps to compare it nor a huge room that require a ton of power, but this is a great-sounding integrated amp. The orange display has some pixels that comes in and out but it's just a bad connection since I can tap the front panel and it'll come back, I'll get to that eventually.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

***edited for correctness.

Last edited:
Wait -- is the A3090 a receiver or integrated amp, as LordoftheRings suggested?

Actually LordoftheRings is correct, this is an integrated amplifier. The main difference between a "receiver" and "integrated amplifier" is the latter lacks an AM/FM tuner. I went straight for CD input so I didn't even realize that it doesn't have a tuner built in, which is no big deal to me at all.

10/10 would buy another if it's a good deal.

Actually LordoftheRings is correct, this is an integrated amplifier. The main difference between a "receiver" and "integrated amplifier" is the latter lacks an AM/FM tuner. I went straight for CD input so I didn't even realize that it doesn't have a tuner built in, which is no big deal to me at all.

10/10 would buy another if it's a good deal.

Yes, indeed I know the difference between an integrated amp and stereo receiver is the tuner. :thmbsp:

Was just confused as you had originally put "receiver" in your last post, which I see you have corrected.

In the "older" days (my active time over @ Blu-ray.com) there was a good ambiance between the members. ...But some mods were (still are) on the dark side (not in touch with real life).

In the new, my now almost non-existent time over there, it is best to be stress-free and in the clear.

- Now back to Yamaha DSP-A3090 Integrated Amp. :)

Edited.

Last edited:
So it seems like the right channel is ever so slightly quieter than the left, when I slowly turn the volume control up from minimum the left channel gets sound before the right. The analog volume control exhibits no pop/scratchy noise nor does the bass/treble/balance, it is the same whether it gets analog or digital signal and flipping the left/right channel input doesn't change anything. Turning the unit and and off to cycle the relay doesn't change anything either.

I'm going to say this is due to a dirty volume control pot? I have to take the front panel off anyway to fix the display so it's not a big deal, I just hope this isn't caused by a worn speaker output relay because that involves a bit more work. Does anyone have a service manual to check and see if there are any other volume-related controls on the circuit board that I should pay attention to? I see that there are a few small adjustment pots but I suspect they're bias/DC offset adjustment. I have the cover off the whole day yesterday and the two heatsinks don't get hot at all, contrary to my first post.

R8Xvgcz.jpg

What's funny is that I am experiencing the EXACT same thing with my Onkyo TX-8555 -- the RIGHT channel is noticeably quieter than the LEFT, no matter what source or even if I skew the balance knob almost all the way to the right to compensate...:headscrat:headscrat:headscrat

Okay the display is fixed but not the off-balance issue (sort of). From min to -70db on the volume control the sound is leaning to the left but it seems fine after that (still slightly off to my ears), this happens with speaker and headphone output and if I use the preamp to drive another amplifier. If I remove the preout/main in jack and plug my source directly into the main in jack it is perfect.

Something is goofy with the preamp's right channel, what could cause such a behavior?

Last edited:
While I might have chalked up your imbalance problem as being the result of poor L/R volume pot tracking, at low levels, my 3090 doesn't exhibit the balance issues that your unit does. So, no help there.

Also, I've got a NAD 116 preamp that has a channel imbalance issue too. Cleaning the balance and volume pots didn't help. So, no help there either! Though, if you do figure out what's causing the imbalance in your Yamaha, I'd be curious if it would help my NAD? You never know!

Back
Top Bottom