Question about Yamaha CA amps

martinz

I wonder if someone knows which of these two Yamaha amp series would be more different sounding to a Kenwood KA-5700 amp (or similar KA series)
-Yamaha CA-600/700/800/1000 series
-Yamaha CA-610/710/810/1010 series

I already have the Kenwood which I love but I need another amp. Before I was thinking about getting another Kewood but I'm leaning towards Yamahas for the sake of variety! Thanks

My recommendation, having owned the 600 & 800 plus a 610, 810 and 1010 I'd strongly recommend the CA-2010.

Of course, the sound of the amp is also determined by the speakers you will be using. Even if you were to A/B the speakers to audition the amps, you'll note the CA-2010 sounds different. At least that has been my experience.

Good luck with your choice!

Unless you need the extra oomph of the 2010 I'd go for the CA-1010 and save a bunch of money. Just my $.02.

Thanks. The 2010 sounds tempting, but is beyond what I'm after. The 1010 would be great but it's too heavy and i have had bad experiences with couriers and heavy packages! I don't discard it though, but I was leaning towards the 810

But again, which series would be more different soundwise to the KA-5700 and family? The CA 810-1010 or the CA 800-1000 series? I would like something diferent to contrast with the Kenwood

But again, which series would be more different soundwise to the KA-5700 and family? The CA 810-1010 or the CA 800-1000 series? I would like something diferent to contrast with the Kenwood

Probably they have same sound, but the CA-x10 series has VU meters...

I think that any of the above are far more accurate, neutral, smooth/resolving, and satisfying than the KA-5700, but whadda I know?

FWIW, I prefer the CA-x00 series to the CA-x10 series, but this is based mostly on the construction values of the former; the latter smack of some cost-cutting to me (there were broader economic forces at work in the latter 1970s). They're all good... very, very good.

Of the specific models mentioned, I'd impute a sweet spot (cost, quality, performance) at the CA-800. The CA-800 features selectable Class A operation - which will provide very high quality and very transparent sound at the expense of low output power and serious inefficiency (i.e., copious generation of heat from the outputs). If one has suitably sensitive loudspeakers, one will be rewarded by the use of the Class A output bias option.

All of the above, of course, just my opinions; not rooted in any sort of immutable fact!

CA800 and S702CP by mhardy6647, on Flickr

(someday I need to take a new photo of the CA-800!)

Last edited:
I've owned a CA-810 since 1980. I've also owned the 1010 and a 610, but for me, the 810 is the perfect blend of power and design. If you could pick up an 810 for a reasonable price, I'd highly recommend it.

The CA-810 is certainly beautiful, too :) I am chagrined to admit that I don't have one of those... :p

As an aside, I had a good friend in the 1970s who replaced a Pioneer SX-650 receiver with a CA-810... the difference in sound quality was pretty substantial.

No Class A output option on the CA-810, though. (The 1010 and 2010 do offer this).

DSC_6689_z by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Grandma, what big volume and tuning knobs you have!

Last edited:
What of the CA-800ll, it is seen as a stellar integrated by some folks,I've never seen one.

I've so far owned a CA-400, CA-410, 610, 810 and 1010. I thought the 810 was a noticeable improvement sonically from the 410 and 610, but that the 1010 was a big jump from there in terms of build quality etc. The Class A performance is delightful and powerful enough to be meaningful, the phono stage first rate and it doesn't hurt that the case is real veneer instead of vinyl covered. For a few extra pounds to shift it is well worth it. The 81) has IIRC the variable loudness which some folks really like, but I have never used apart from trying it out.

What of the CA-800ll, it is seen as a stellar integrated by some folks,I've never seen one.

Never seen nor heard of such - I am guessing it was a ex-US, ROW (Rest of the World) model...?
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/amp/ca-800ii.html

I'd think it would be fine...

ca-800ii(2).JPG

I sure understand the love for a 1010. I owned a 1010 for a long time. I only bought it for the Class A switch.

I spent hours under the headphones and in front of the speakers trying to discern a difference between Class A and Class C amplification. My ears could not quite hear the difference. I know there is, I just could not honestly admit that I heard it. I sometimes thought there was a difference, but then when switching back to C class again, I was not sure.

The extra raw power of the 1010 over the 810 is very nice, but for me, I never wail on the speakers any longer. The 810 is good for me, but I sure do admire the 1010.

It's also possible that since the 810 was my college amp and my first real rig, I have a sentimental attachment to it. ;)

Your choices are Class A and Class AB ;-)

What speakers were you using? Believe me, I hate to trot out the standard audiophile's "Emporer's New Clothes" rationale (y'know, "your system is just not resolving enough to reveal the jaw-dropping difference between (x) and (y)")... but... maybe, in this case?

Well....the thrusters are up for a recap...then will experience the afterglow of class A! :music:

Last edited:
What speakers were you using? Believe me, I hate to trot out the standard audiophile's "Emporer's New Clothes" rationale (y'know, "your system is just not resolving enough to reveal the jaw-dropping difference between (x) and (y)")... but... maybe, in this case?
A nice set of headphones comes in handy when doing listening tests on amps, eliminates some of the variables...and are easier to transport!

:) Yes. That works. However, I prefer the smooth waveform one gets with class AB. Now that's audio perfection. However, I see your 810 only has AB positive. I had mine rigged with AB negative as well. ;)

I'd have to agree with mhardy. The CA-800 is a great choice; not that I've compared one to a 10 series but I have compared it to my KA-7100. As nice as the Kenny sounds, in an A-B comparison using NS-500m's, the Yamaha stands head and shoulders above the Kenny. It is, in my opinion, much cleaner and more detailed, and in class A mode there is something about the sound that is truly sublime. It's interesting how subtle the difference is yet so much more enjoyable to listen to. I find it difficult to describe.
BTW, neither amp has been serviced in any way to my knowledge, so take it for what it's worth.:D

True enough - I've never done the A/AB comparison on the CA-800 (or CA-2010, for that matter) on headphones.

I just wish I had a pair of Stax electrets - or a pair of electrostatic headphones...

Back
Top Bottom