Question on the Yamaha DSP-A3090

wingman0121

I just picked up one of these from pawn america (46 lbs. of a behemoth) and I have a question... it has two rows of heatsinks and while in stereo mode (effects off) the right heatsink seems to be warmer than the left, is that normal since this is a 5 channel receiver with the 3 other channels sharing the heatsinks? This is with me feeling it with the cover on, receiver turned on and idling with no input. We hooked it up to speakers at the pawn shop and it seems to sound just fine but I haven't hooked up any speakers at home yet since I don't have test speakers at this moment. I also found out that the original remote is hella important (which I don't have) since some functions are not accessible without the remote.

I Have had a few big Yamaha surround receivers. The closest thing that comes close to your A3090 was a RX-V2090 that did the very same thing and never had issues.

Im also jealous, the DSP - A3090 is an awesome monster. There is actually one that has been listed locally for the past month for $90 and every pay check I consider grabbing it. Alas, I dont. I think its the no remote that gets me, I need to have an original remote so I can access all the awesome controls through the on-screen operating system.

*the remote may pop up on ebay or audio site but be prepared to pay some good money for it ! Just keep an eye out and you may find a compatible yamaha remote that may allow near-full function control of your A3090. Remotes for similar beefy Yamaha's should work, like other DSP models and *possibly* some like my RX-v2090/2092.

Last edited:
I Have had a few big Yamaha surround receivers. The closest thing that comes close to your A3090 was a RX-V2090 that did the very same thing and never had issues.

Im also jealous, the DSP - A3090 is an awesome monster. There is actually one that has been listed locally for the past month for $90 and every pay check I consider grabbing it. Alas, I dont. I think its the no remote that gets me, I need to have an original remote so I can access all the awesome controls through the on-screen operating system.

*the remote may pop up on ebay or audio site but be prepared to pay some good money for it ! Just keep an eye out and you may find a compatible yamaha remote that may allow near-full function control of your A3090. Remotes for similar beefy Yamaha's should work, like other DSP models and *possibly* some like my RX-v2090/2092.

I spent an hour looking on eBay for the remote to no avail, there are many that are very similar but none are exact and I don't know if it works with it. I find it funny that it weighs more than the P-2200, I have a feeling that its "80 watts" per channel rating in stereo is very conservative.

I just picked up one of these from pawn america (46 lbs. of a behemoth) and I have a question... it has two rows of heatsinks and while in stereo mode (effects off) the right heatsink seems to be warmer than the left, is that normal since this is a 5 channel receiver with the 3 other channels sharing the heatsinks? This is with me feeling it with the cover on, receiver turned on and idling with no input. We hooked it up to speakers at the pawn shop and it seems to sound just fine but I haven't hooked up any speakers at home yet since I don't have test speakers at this moment. I also found out that the original remote is hella important (which I don't have) since some functions are not accessible without the remote.

Yes, naturally normal. :)

Another thing to remember, the most crucial controls that you will be accessing with a remote will be the Up , Down , Left , Right & Enter / Select controls. These controls will allow you to access almost every feature at your disposal. Most other buttons on the remote will be " shortcut " buttons and not necessarily a necessity. If I could find a remote that would work with a DSP A3090, all Im looking for are those previously mentioned buttons. It aint perfect but its close !

Another thing to remember, the most crucial controls that you will be accessing with a remote will be the Up , Down , Left , Right & Enter / Select controls. These controls will allow you to access almost every feature at your disposal. Most other buttons on the remote will be " shortcut " buttons and not necessarily a necessity. If I could find a remote that would work with a DSP A3090, all Im looking for are those previously mentioned buttons. It aint perfect but its close !

I wonder if those smart remotes like Harmony or Pronto have the codes for this receiver? I wouldn't mind spending more on those since it can control a whole lot more than just the receiver.

I wonder if those smart remotes like Harmony or Pronto have the codes for this receiver? I wouldn't mind spending more on those since it can control a whole lot more than just the receiver.

They certainly will.

My Harmony 550 has codes for them Yamaha products of that era. ...Paid fifty bucks, and controls 15 audio/video components.

Unfortunately, new 3090 remotes are no longer available:

http://www.remotes.com/remotes/servlet/rs?a=gmi&smodel=DSPA3090&brand_pn=YAMAHA_DSPA3090&mode=large&uuid=13945543228090

So, I guess auction and classified ad sites are it! Or at least, as mentioned, workable remotes, with codes, should be available from Harmony and Universal.

I own a DSP-A3090, and love it. Still have the original remote too. I don't plan on ever selling it. Too nice to sell, for the chump change, that it'd bring! :no:

Right on, can you educate me on this unit a bit... when I press the effects button so the display says "effects off" does it essentially turns it into a 2 channel receiver and bypasses the bass management? I've been using another receiver that I picked up at the same time (Kenwood 1090VR) and I haven't gotten to the Yamaha a whole lot yet. I only plan to use it as a 2 channel receiver and I could just tap into its preout/main in loop but the preamp seems to be pretty stellar.

Wingman,

I don't want to answer from memory, as that won't help at all! Not with my memory! But, I'm working a 12 hour shift, most of this week. So, it'll be the weekend before I can play. Though, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, that you have by then! Glad to help! :yes:

Patience! :thmbsp:

Right on, can you educate me on this unit a bit... when I press the effects button so the display says "effects off" does it essentially turns it into a 2 channel receiver and bypasses the bass management? I've been using another receiver that I picked up at the same time (Kenwood 1090VR) and I haven't gotten to the Yamaha a whole lot yet. I only plan to use it as a 2 channel receiver and I could just tap into its preout/main in loop but the preamp seems to be pretty stellar.

This might help too, until I can park in front of my 3090:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=dsp-a3090

You'll proably have to create a free account, in order to access the manual. But, it's worth it!

OK, found it!

"EFFECT Switch:

Normally ON, this switch can be turned OFF to disable output from the center and effect speakers so that the sound becomes normal 2-channel stereo. *Even if this switch is off, when the Dolby surround AC-3 is decoded, signals at all channels are distributed to the main channels and output from the main speakers."

That's pretty much it. ...DSP effect on, or off (bass management on or off; channel levels and delays, and between multichannel and straight stereo).

That's the cool thing about Yamaha; at the press of a single button you switch between full DSP multichannel Music or Cinema, and plain stereo.
And each source can be manually programmed (then automatically memorized) with its own surround mode (Cinema or Music). 'Effect' off and you're back to normal stereo. ...Push the 'Effect' button again, and the pre-programmed DSP audio mode for that source is now fully reengaged.

Simple as A-B-C really.

Anything else you want to know? ... http://www.manualslib.com/manual/197474/Yamaha-Dsp-A3090.html

Last edited:
Please explain...

In the "older" days (my active time over @ Blu-ray.com) there was a good ambiance between the members. ...But some mods were (still are) on the dark side (not in touch with real life).

In the new, my now almost non-existent time over there, it is best to be stress-free and in the clear.

- Now back to Yamaha DSP-A3090 Integrated Amp. :)

In the "older" days (my active time over @ Blu-ray.com) there was a good ambiance between the members. ...But some mods were (still are) on the dark side (not in touch with real life).

In the new, my now almost non-existent time over there, it is best to be stress-free and in the clear.

- Now back to Yamaha DSP-A3090 Integrated Amp. :)

I know what you mean about the mods over there...

Back
Top Bottom