happy new owner of a Kenwood KR 5150

spideyjack

Addicted Member
kenwoodKR5150.jpg

I found this yesterday and just couldn't resist, I gave a it good cleaning inside and out and it all works except a couple bulbs. I am going to attach an antenna and use it to run the downstairs system for awhile.

Last edited:
Hey spideyjack,

Congrats on the new to you KR-5150.

It looks very nice and like it is good condition.

I believe you will like the :music::music::music: that it will make for you!

I have the first receiver I purchased a KR-6160 that I bought when I was manager of a Team Electronics store...With my discount with the factory rep I believe I paid about $100.00...Including the optional walnut case...

It has been in daily service ever since in one form or another...Only repair...a pair of output transistors damaged by me due to a speaker with a bad woofer voice coil that was rubbing and shorting.:thumbsdn:

Any way I have been happy with the "Kenwood Sound" of the receivers of that vintage...

It is storage right now but when I am able it will go back into rotation.

Happy listening...

I got it all set up and have been playing FM radio, records, cassettes and cds through it all afternoon. It packs a wallop for 50 watts with lots of low end.

Some of the lights I thought were dead will come on for a minuet then go out. When I had it apart I was reluctant to mess with the bulbs because the string was right there on top and this tuner seems to be right on and I was afraid of messing it up.

Hey spideyjack,

I have the first receiver I purchased a KR-6160 that I bought when I was manager of a Team Electronics store...With my discount with the factory rep I believe I paid about $100.00...Including the optional walnut case...

It has been in daily service ever since in one form or another...Only repair...a pair of output transistors damaged by me due to a speaker with a bad woofer voice coil that was rubbing and shorting.:thumbsdn:

Any way I have been happy with the "Kenwood Sound" of the receivers of that vintage...

Happy listening...

Thanks! It has tons of character and I am enjoying it!

Nice receiver! I have the 4140 and really enjoy it. Low-wattage unit that sounds very smooth and musical. Great FM tuners on these as well.

The 5150 is a nice-sounding but weird-looking unit. I've had one for a while now. It was edged out of my living room by a KR-9400, and out of my bedroom by a Sansui 3000A. It's been my wandering test receiver for a while now, but I'm not sure what will happen to it in the long run.

I tell ya folks after using this receiver for about a month plus a week, I love it!. It drives my KLH 24s in the living room and modded Minimus 7s in the computer room just right. The tuner is quiet and full and CDs, tapes and records all sound fab. I'm a happy Kenwood camper.

That's great. It's amazing how a receiver so ugly could sound so sweet. :D

My 4140 is currently sitting on top of my Pilot console powering it's speakers while I get it's amp refurbished. Weird thing is it actually looks pretty cool up there. Seems to tie in well with the other audio/video equipment in the room (BPC components and silver Plasma).

I tell ya folks after using this receiver for about a month plus a week, I love it!. It drives my KLH 24s in the living room and modded Minimus 7s in the computer room just right. The tuner is quiet and full and CDs, tapes and records all sound fab. I'm a happy Kenwood camper.

I was fortunate enough to buy a KR 5150 for 50 dollars and replaced the meter light cleaned out the dust and deoxted it. It is a real jem sounds great and is very warm and can get loud. A sleeper if you ask me.

The OM and SM for the 5150 are on the hifiengine so you can get the most out of your new unit. A brand new thread about your brand new to you receiver would have been good to.

Congrats on the 5150. I've looked into this series, especially the 6160 but I too can't get passed the "teeth" buttons

Congrats on the find! The first real stereo I had back in the late 70s was a Kenwood amp and tuner (can't remember the models) and I loved them then and still love the sound the old Kenwood gear turns out. I am trying to get a 4010 up and working now.

Depends on what you mean by cheap? :D

From my experience with the 4140 and all I've read about the 5150 chances are you'll be pleased. Great FM tuners on these if that interests you.

Hey spideyjack,

Happy listening...
kenwoodKR5150.jpg

I found this yesterday and just couldn't resist, I gave a it good cleaning inside and out and it all works except a couple bulbs. I am going to attach an antenna and use it to run the downstairs system for awhile.
kenwoodKR5150.jpg

Great Receiver! You’ll get decades of enjoyment from it

Attachments

• 99E3522F-3053-4914-A0D4-8940031DEEE2.jpeg
    99E3522F-3053-4914-A0D4-8940031DEEE2.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 20
View attachment 2614358 Last month I found a Kenwood KR-5150 at the Salvation Army here in Kona Hawaii , it cost me $14.95 with the wooden case , a quick deoxit & a few bulb swaps & it is 100% . The faceplate was corroded & the paint bad but I got one on ebay shipped to me for $30 , the new faceplateView attachment 2614358 is immaculate so now I have a "restored View attachment 2614358 " receiver to add to my collection .

Attachments

• 20220712_105752.jpg
    20220712_105752.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom