Kenwood KT-87 Tuner

vegas79

Hi folks,

I came into the office this morning to find that my Kenwood tuner was no longer powered up. Pressing the power button does nothing. I also noticed that the CD player that was plugged into the switched outlet was no longer getting power from the tuner (but tested fine when plugged into another power source). The Preamp that was plugged in the unswitched outlet was still working. I haven't opened up the unit yet but it does this sound like it could be a dead powersupply?

The outlets come before the power supply (they are wired straight to the wall via the power switch) so no. It's the power switch itself most likely.

What is this?!?

So I took a peek under the hood yesterday and saw this (see attached pic).

The dark blue cap (the lumpy one at the lower right) had a leg that was no longer attached to the board. Debating whether its worth dealing with this one. May just grab another tuner from the closet.

Attachments

• IMG_6051.jpg
    IMG_6051.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 21
I can't make out if the discoloration on the board is from the glue or from overheating (or both). But my guess is that the glue corroded the leg of the capacitor, and may have caused damage to other components as well. If there isn't other damage, replacing these might fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom