ka-701 power switch problem

agentmm

Howdy,

New to the forum so please cut this down if it's in the wrong section.
I have "actually" searched the forum for this information as not to repeat post but it's simple anyway:

My Kenwood KA-701 has issues with the power switch. It had a "sweet spot" for a while where I floated the switch to make a connection but now that spot has virtually disappeared. I can't get the switch to work.
Took the unit apart and carefully cleaned it...
I then sprayed the pots with contact cleaner and that's the extent of my aptitude in the electrical sciences.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help, criticisms are appreciated.

Thanks

I disassembled the power switch and as I suspected, it's fried.
I am wondering if this can be fixed or if I should acquire another power switch unit?
Is this a fairly generic part for Kenwood? I can imagine the toggle might vary from model to model so I might have to mod something....not sure though

Pic attached for reference.

Thanks

Thank you kindly for the response and the link. I just read through it.
Having no experience with this field at all, I'm not sure where I'd start...

Also, the switch is mechanically viable. So I need to repair the broken-spring side and insert the red "pin" (not the correct term, I'm sure) into that repair.
Is that the idea?

It's a DPST switch, but for most applications only one side is used. You didn't show the solder block for the switch, and have not identified where you are or what voltage the unit is subject to. But if the unit is to be used on 120V, then you only need 1/2 of the switch to be functional in order to use it to trigger a triac and take the load off the switch. I can't give you specifics on how to get the switch into that condition...you're the man on the spot and the one who disassembled the switch, so that much is up to you.

I'm learning as we go here. I understand what you mean...

I'll certainly get it working again...it's just going to take some reading

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated and if I'm ever in Kansas City............I will remember you

Back
Top Bottom