Realistic MC-2500

NJguy

Got this guy for free along with about 300 LPs. At first looked pretty bad as it was dirty and knobs crooked. Once i cleaned it and straightened the knobs this guy looks pretty nice. I plugged it in and it works nicely including fm and phono. Just the tuner light is out (what kinda light goes in these things?).

I also just deoxited it as the volume knob was producing crackle.

Very little on it on the web. Anyone know anything about it? Its sounds pretty nice.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 106
Try searching on www.radioshackcatalogs.com Not bad especially if everything works.

Wow looking through those catalogs I cant believe how expensive some gear was back in the early 70's...there is stuff in there for $1000....which in todays money is more like $5000....and lots of stuff was prices around $400...easily $2000 in todays money...those 70's prices are still expensive in my book today!

BTW, how does Realistic stack up in the Audiophile world? Was the Radio Shack association a bad thing back then?

So far I went through the Radio Shack cats from 1970 to 1983 and no luck finding this....it looks visually to be early 70s, from what I can tell.

Radio Shack equipment like one in your photo was pretty low on the scale of audiophile quality equipment ....however for the average middle class family it wasn't bad. I had one those all-in-one systems that I remember getting around 1972. Mine was a Panasonic. It included a tuner, record player/changer and a cassette player/recorder. My dad had a Grundig console system that had a tuner and turntable along with the 'receiver' built into a wooden cabinet. Even that wasn't really audiophile equipment but that was more along the top of the line for an audio system for the typical middle class family...I remember my dad got that console in the early 60's.

Last edited:
If you look up the part number it is listed as a turntable on some sites for replacement needles and such

Now does anyone know what kind of Bulbs the tuner takes? Is it kind of a standard thing? I believe the tuner light is burned out. Though the little tuning meter window does have light. It is a cool little design. The panel is slightly angled and as the ad says the tuner panel "Blacks out" when off.

This is how i got it and before I started cleaning it and before i fixed the crooked knob.

BEFORE
attachment.php

AFTER
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
With cover that i cleared up with turtle wax clarifying compound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
The MC-2500 was my first stereo - paid $100 for Display model in 1972. Had it through college and the first few years of marriage. Any chance you would be selling it?

The MC-2500 was my first stereo - paid $100 for Display model in 1972. Had it through college and the first few years of marriage. Any chance you would be selling it?

Sure. I just goofed one day and forced the "start" switch on the rcord player and it broke off. I think it needed to be regreased so i shouldnt have forced it. But other than that works and looks great. Send me a pm with an offer.

Back
Top Bottom