Votes: 64 45.1%
  • No way, never

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • It depends, sometimes - please elaborate

Votes: 68 47.9%

• Total voters

prighello

not all who wander are lost
I've never tried this but I have seen comments here and there about haggling on new speakers etc. Has anyone ever done this? Can it be done or is MSRP pretty solid. Does anyone ever try to haggle with their local dealer? If so, what's the best approach?

Buy a lot of items at one time, rather than just one item. Offer cash instead of credit card, to save the merchant fee. Don't haggle unless you're planning on buying that day. Go to the dealer the last full week of the month; he may have to make payroll or rent, and would rather have the cash than the inventory.

The 'S' in 'MSRP' is supposed to represent 'suggested'.

Find a store in which the salespeople are paid commission. The will have wiggle room to keep you from walking out the door, no matter what day of the month it is.

Also, many retailers will price match (even an online price nowadays as the Brick/Mortars also have a web presence). Find a valid low price and get it matched to save money.

I haven't exactly bought enough new gear to present an absolute case, but looking at last few new items I've bought, I did get at least 10% off from independent hi-fi stores but not from Best Buy or other chain stores.

It is never a bad thing to ask if this is the best price. Sometimes you will be amazed by the adjusted price. Any big ticket item it is silly not to ask that or what they will through in on the deal.

Retailer - Yes
Online - Yes
play one against the other - Yes.

Last edited:
Yes. It can be done. I find that smaller local dealers are willing to work with you in that regard. With the larger national retailers, it depended on the corporate policy, and the condition of the item is (e.g. display unit vs. new in box).

Supplemental info: A friend of mine worked in A/V retail in the late 90's thru the mid 00's. At that time, he said that the general markup on electronics was ~100%. So if the Amp retailed for $1000.00, then the cost to the retailer was $500.00. So the customer purchased price would be somewhere between $500 - $1000, but most likely closer to the top-end of that range. Disclaimer: Not sure if this still holds true today.

Almost every store will move on the price if you ask, just depends on how much. Even Futureshop up here (big chain) will reduce the price significantly if you ask. Don't ask, ya never know. :)

Everything is negotiable, well almost everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some can haggle better than others yes it can be done. I use to sell used cars in my early days.:yes:

Haggle! Haggle! Haggle!

I had a business attorney once tell me price tags are only an offer to negotiate so do so.

I learned this from my older brother in a music store when I was a kid. He saw a sweet looking cherry sunburst Les Paul that he liked and asked to talk to the store manager. He put $400.00 cash on the counter and asked the manager if he would take it for the Les Paul. The manager walked over to the glass case and pulled out the Les Paul and handed it to my brother and that was that.

I was in shock at the time to see him get such a sweet deal. :ntwrthy:

I haggle over all my big ticket items now. They will also throw in freebies sometimes to sweeten the pot.

When I bought my JBL L100Ts I checked everyplace in town. Most places would come down to at least $1000.00 but the place that got my business also threw in free speaker stands and a pair of 10' long monster cables you could power a welder with. :D

There was one time a store would not come down on price on a little 13" SONY TV that I wanted. When he saw I lost interest he said "wait here I'll be right back". He came back and put some $100.00 SONY headphones in my hands and said "I can throw these in for free if you buy the TV" ...WINNING! :thmbsp:

640px-Sony_MDR-V6_Headphones_boxed.jpg

Many decades ago when I worked in a stereo store we started at retail - around 40% profit margin - but were allowed to go as low as 28% if it meant saving the sale.

Back in the day (oh no, an old farts ramblings ahead) haggling was an accepted part of making "a deal".
In the city where I shopped there were 3 or 4 stereo shops within a mile or two of each other. When interested in an item I'd ask for "the best out the door price". Often times the response would be "I need to check with the manager" and the salesman would go off where he couldn't be seen, then return with a better price. "The manager says"...most times "the manager" was a small pocket calculator or even just pen and paper...had to figure his "spiffs" in then offer a price reduction.
If not completely satisfied I'd say, well, I'm from out of town, and I will be taking XXXX home with me, is that the best you can do? Sometimes the price would improve but not always.
With the variety of shops another bargaining ploy was "Well, I'm gonna head over to xxxxx and see what they have. I might be back."
Ah, brings back some good memories from my youth...

Always ask no matter where you're buying it. You might be surprised. Five to ten percent is not unusual. There are some boutique retailers that will not
move on a single item but will offer a "system" discount for multiple item purchases.

Then there are lines that are NEVER discounted. Legalities notwithstanding
there are a few manufacturers that will end the relationship with the retailer if they find out.

I feel haggling is part of the thrill of buying equipment. When it comes to vintage pieces, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't make a reasonable offer and work to a reasonable compromise. My standard offer is $5 for a none working unit - parts for other projects. Even at GW, VOA or SA I have negotiated a price below their tag. Just be courteous and don't burn any bridges - you will want to go back to the vendor. Garage Saling seems to the best haggle forum. For new equipment (which I haven't bought in years), I always tried to negotiate the best discount. I bought a demo 1984 T-Type Buick for only $500 more than the stand Regal - just the right place and time.

I have not bought new audio equipment, so it's heresy for me. Like someone mentioned, go toward the end if month. Also, if they are introducing a new line or new models , they will be willing to make a deal on the outgoing model. I don't know if audio manufacturers give incentives to move some gear, and sometimes the dealer will pass that on. I have bought a used McIntosh C-28 from a dealer, and instead of reducing the price, he threw in a pair of Analysis Plus interconnects "worth" $99, which means his cost was almost nothing - could have been a sample from the manufacturer....

Buying anything new I always ask. Most times I've found they will move at least a little or thrown in extras to make the deal. Buying used it depends on the situation. If buying used from a store yes I will try and deal. If buying from a private party/friends I may or may not try and get a better deal. Sometimes the friendship is worth more than the deal.

Back
Top Bottom