New Purchase: KEF C95

sake

I just picked up a pair of C95's in very nice condition from the original owner for a very fair price. This is my 1st pair of KEF's and probably not my last.

What I'm looking for is hopefully some confirmation that not all the tweeters in these dry out and fade with age, or do they? I read up on these before buying them, so I knew the risk going in, but I auditioned them at his house and like he said, the tweets sound fine.

Has anyone actually replaced the ferrofluid on their's or had it done by a pro?

Congrats on the KEFs. I had a pair of Q80's for over twenty years....no problems.
The C95 is probably superior. You'll love them.

Last edited:
My word, I was beginning to think I was the last owner of C95s on earth. I inherited mine from my grandfather and they got me into hi-fi. I replaced them in my main system with a pair of Monitor Audio RS6 but still run the KEFs alongside them in my second system.

They don't seem to be worth a lot second hand and you never hear people singing their praises but in my opinion they are fantastic speakers with which I'll probably never part. I believe they were top of the range bar the Reference series and a test bed for one or two of the technologies used there. The Monitors annihilate them on precision, detail and even bass extension but the KEFs have a lovely warm integrated sound which seems to make the music wrap around you. Imaging is great too, massive power handling and they sound as large as they are ;) Very much speakers for someone who listens with their heart rather than their head. I think you'll like em.

As to your question, the top on mine sounds just fine. I've not had them from new so can't say if they started out brighter but while they have a smooth rather than bright sound it doesn't feel like the treble is missing at all.

It took me a while to find this so in case you've not: If you pull at the rubber feet they come off to reveal spikes.

Last edited:
Best of luck with your new to you KEFs.
Forget the backup plan. If you really think your tweeters need attention,
there are people who provide overhaul service for less than the price of non-original parts. BTW, it's an easy do it yourself repair. For less than $20 and an hour or two you are back in business.
Happy listening!
Jimmy

Last edited:
So what exactly would you do to refresh the fluid in the tweeters? I'm considering a deal for some C95's but I've been on AK long enough to hear some of the stories about Uni-Q drivers. I would probably want to refresh the fluid as a course of regular maintenance.

@DOBIEGUY , you seem to have a handle on that. Perhaps you can chime in?

Back
Top Bottom