25 miles per second

yeah but what kind of gas millage does it get?
:)

Well, if you look up the fuel load of an Atlas V (kerosene plus oxygen), the weight per gallon of the fuel, and the average distance from Earth to Jupiter, you can make a reasonable guess. I get a figure of approximately 5400 miles per gallon. Of course, the probe isn't going in a straight line due the the slingshot maneuver and orbital mechanics. So it's actually much greater than that.

You're welcome :D

At least it's going somewhere.

The shuttle travels at a very impressive 5 miles per second, and has not traveled more than 165 miles away from earth. Check that fuel economy.

It's moving pretty good, but at that paltry fraction of the speed of light, we won't be visiting any other galaxies very soon.

right, We at least to reach a respectable fraction of the speed of light t o pull that off, hell I think even like 1-2% the speed of light would do :scratch2:

Galaxies? Andromeda is the nearest, 2.5 million light years away. That's 2.5 million years at 100% of the speed of light, 1/4 of a billion years at 1%.

Galaxies? Andromeda is the nearest, 2.5 million light years away. That's 2.5 million years at 100% of the speed of light, 1/4 of a billion years at 1%.

That 2,500,000 years to Andromeda at 100% of c only applies if your're standing here on Earth.

If you're the one in motion, at 100% of c time stops, so you're there in no time!

:nerd:

Speed of light stuff always fascinates me. If you travel faster than light does that place you into the future seeing as you are past your perception??? :scratch2:

Once the spacecraft reaches speed it won't be using any fuel as it will just be coasting at that speed to the target. In space there is nothing to slow down the momentum once its velocity is reached.

Once the spacecraft reaches speed it won't be using any fuel as it will just be coasting at that speed to the target. In space there is nothing to slow down the momentum once its velocity is reached.

But that brings up another problem with really fast travel - stopping once you get there. I guess if you spent a couple hundred million years in transit, then a few hundred thousand years of braking into orbit around a star to slow down won't be too bad.

It's moving pretty good, but at that paltry fraction of the speed of light, we won't be visiting any other galaxies very soon.

It's probably still fast enough, that they need to start re-tuning radio frequency reception and transmission frequencies for it, to account for Doppler effects, and adjust time stamps for Einsteinian relativistic effects...

Regards,
Gordon.

Speed of light stuff always fascinates me. If you travel faster than light does that place you into the future seeing as you are past your perception??? :scratch2:
Oh boy! If I go faster than the speed of light, does that mean that I can catch up with the episode of the Kardashians that I missed? I can't wait!

Ok, the truth is that I missed them all -- but I'm just excited to think that it might be possible!

Back
Top Bottom