Favorite era for movies?

Documentaries? Don't watch them.

While the 70s gave us the French connection, it also gave us a lot of crime movie crap. The 70s also gave us all that woody Allen coma inducing medicine. No thanks. Yeah the 80s had a lot of fluff. I am trying to think of a good movie from that decade...give me a minute! :D

This space intentionally left blank.

Try watching "Man On Wire" . Pay attention to it's soundtrack you'll be thrilled.(Michael Nyman)

Edit - don't forget The Terminator !

Try watching "Man On Wire" . Pay attention to it's soundtrack you'll be thrilled.(Michael Nyman)

Tight rope walking? I'll pass. Unless they just cut to the walk itself.

Edit - don't forget The Terminator !

it was good Sci-FI, but I could not sit through it again. And shouldn't a good movie be watchable 20 yrs later?

Not to sound (B)anal; but I love all of 'em! I can immerse myself in movies from all time periods! If I had to pick one era tho', that would be during the 'Art Deco' era. I used to watch ancient 'American' movies on the BBC and at the flicks, and found 'that' architecture and decor to be 'off-planet'; like, where the Emperor Ming may have hung out!

attachment.php

And, to narrow it down slightly [knew you'd want me to :D]:

attachment.php

10 years, plus & minus from when Charles Cockburn and Jean Arthur were around

OR

attachment.php

Myrna Loy

Cheers, og

Attachments

• ArtDecoArchitecture.jpg
    ArtDecoArchitecture.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 51
  • CC&JA.jpg
    CC&JA.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Myrna Loy.jpg
    Myrna Loy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 51
To add to Myrna Loy, Norma shearer.

Her brother Douglas was the head of the sound department at MGM, the best in Hollywood (thus in the world). In the early 1930s Shearer gave John Hilliard the go ahead to develop a new improved speaker system to improve on the faults of the Western Electric systems then used in theaters (at the time MGM owned it's own theaters). The result was the Shearer Horn which was manufactured by WE, Lansing Mfg. and RCA and became the quality standard until after the War when Hilliard, no longer at MGM but at Altec, developed the VOT. (Note that Hilliard's Shearer team included Bob Stephens and James Lansing and enjoyed input from Harry Olson at RCA.)

Shearer Horn

Last edited:
The more the merrier!

If I could get my wife to sign off on it, I would like tattoo of that photo of Norma shearer!

You can add Jean Harlow to that list as well.

Any time, for me - Jean was one of the all-time best! A real tragedy, how long she lived. That picture reminds me of the expression: 'She was 'poured' into that dress'! ;)

The more the merrier!
If I could get my wife to sign off on it, I would like tattoo of that photo of Norma shearer!

If your wife does 'sign off on it', be careful what she writes! :D

Cheers, og

Anything 78 to 85 was great...that is because I was a projectionist and then manager for Kerasotes Theaters in Illinois. What an awesome time---I used to fill the ice machine cabinet with beer and we'd have Thursday late night "changeover" screenings...me n my buds.

Anything 78 to 85 was great...that is because I was a projectionist and then manager for Kerasotes Theaters in Illinois. What an awesome time---I used to fill the ice machine cabinet with beer and we'd have Thursday late night "changeover" screenings...me n my buds.

When that chain opened a theater near Chicago in Bolingbrook it became my second favorite theater, after the Tivoli in Downers Grove. The picture was always bright, clear and in the proper aspect ratio and the sound (EV speakers I was told) was excellent. They took nice care of the place.

yup---cr&p&y is right. I may go to the movies twice a year. But if I ever do need a movie fix I have abt 20 here on blu-ray I haven't even watched yet...from super8, persepolis, slumdog millionaire,transiberian, sukiyaki django, triplets of belleville and more.

yup Tom I hated to hear a year or so all but 1 or 2 of the Kerasotes were sold.. Even back in my day of working for them at a dollar "piggy bac" (converted balcony--Lory Theater) in Highland (St Louis metro east)old man George and daughter Beth and George's brothers were squabbling and split the chain in 2. Sad to see them go. Just 2 or 3 big chains left.

Back
Top Bottom