Hoarding Vintage Audio

Sold another two pair of speakers this weekend, and can't say I feel anything but elated. And richer.

A pair of DX-9 Cerwins (god, are those big) and a pair of INfinity RS-625's I hadn't used in over a year. Guy was so happy, he HUGGED me when he left.

See? I unloaded gear that I didn't use, and made this guy happier.

Once those first few pieces go, it gets far easier.

As my buddy says "Man, it's just stuff."

I've stopped buying "good value" and only hold out for choices that are over the top. Gifting with some returning to GW has been my pattern to help alleviate my previous compulsion.......always hope an AKer gets what I'm leaving on those shelves and these are my recent "passes":

Bose 501s'
Sony ES
Built to the teeth nonworking modern HTR w/easy repair path.
Premium/Solid as it can get HX cassette decks.
Large Walnut Advent,KLH,Dahlquist,SpeakerLab....all this last week.

I'm healing.

Edit: Sorry for the poor wording but the list is what I've passed on....fixed in text

Last edited:
I've stopped buying "good value" and only hold out for choices that are over the top. Gifting with some returning to GW has been my pattern to help alleviate my previous compulsion.......always hope an AKer gets what I'm leaving on those shelves:

Bose 501s'
Sony ES
Built to the teeth nonworking modern HTR w/easy repair path.
Premium/Solid as it can get HX cassette decks.
Large Walnut Advent,KLH,Dahlquist,SpeakerLab....all this last week.

I'm healing.

Just FYI - Some of that stuff may not make it to the shelves. I heard Goodwill sends all tape decks to recycling because there is no demand. Not sure about the receiver - I thought the things they sell have to be at least working. Curious - what was the Sony ES gear you donated?

I thought of this thread a few minutes ago. I was thrifting and saw an old Magnavox/Philips CD changer. I had owned the same model previously, and it was so-so. For some reason I kept going back and looking at it even though I really didn't want to buy it...but I guess subconsciously I was trying to talk myself into buying it. I plugged it in, it powered up, so I went to look for a cd. When I came back, a lady who didn't look well off was looking at it, and she ended up buying it. It made me feel good. I really don't think I would have bought it, but if I had, it would have just ended up sitting on top of other CDP's that I don't need in my garage. Instead, it's going to be used by someone. It really made me realize that hoarding even on a minor level affects other people who could actually use this stuff. It's kind of selfish, really.

I heard Goodwill sends all tape decks to recycling because there is no demand.

I wish someone would inform my Goodwill of that fact. Tape decks and inkjet printers are about all I ever see.

I really don't think I would have bought it, but if I had, it would have just ended up sitting on top of other CDP's that I don't need in my garage. Instead, it's going to be used by someone. It really made me realize that hoarding even on a minor level affects other people who could actually use this stuff. It's kind of selfish, really.

In theory it also drives up the price.

Sold another two pair of speakers this weekend, and can't say I feel anything but elated. And richer.
Once those first few pieces go, it gets far easier.

Congrats...I too sold off one pair of my 42 pairs of speakers - Tannoy Monitor Golds in beautiful Tannoy cabinets, freed up some room and some cash...I told the buyer that it's an investment, then I thought to myself, why don't I keep them as an investment myself? But I do enjoy the space they freed up, and what am I doing now? Surfing CL... :(

Just FYI - Some of that stuff may not make it to the shelves. I heard Goodwill sends all tape decks to recycling because there is no demand. Not sure about the receiver - I thought the things they sell have to be at least working. Curious - what was the Sony ES gear you donated?

That is a store by store decision. They can put it out, send it to auction or send it to one of the outlet stores.

I wish someone would inform my Goodwill of that fact. Tape decks and inkjet printers are about all I ever see..

VCRs too baby. VCRs

The Unholy Triumverate of Late 20th Century Mass Market Tech.

VCRs
VHS tapes
and CRT televisions.

You can't give them away....:no:

Have a friend that could use some money and is willing to work a weekend? Ask them to set up a CL ad for a huge audio sale-one weekend only.

Remove any gear from your garage that you simply will not let go of.

Put price stickies on any gear that has real/documented value. No stickies on common stuff like run of the mill black face receivers-just the good stuff.

Tell your friend that he can get whatever he thinks he can for all the other stuff. Allow him/her to discount the sticky items by 50%.

After the 2nd day (Sunday), tell him/her that it's their job to haul all the other stuff to the thrift store.

Split the money collected.

What few sticky pieces remain-have your friend take them to his/her place, and sell them via CL, and split the money.

Obviously, you need a good trusted friend with a pickup available....

Fixed the wording in my post...that's what I left on the shelves. (Sorry.)
The Sony ES piece was an STR-DA2ES.

Some latitude exists on what each GW puts out on those shelves it seems. Quality HX Pro cassette decks are truly a fine pick (if you are so inclined). Seeing how well they raise their heads above the "general cassette prejudice" is a source of enjoyment for me.

VCRs too baby. VCRs

The Unholy Triumverate of Late 20th Century Mass Market Tech.

VCRs
VHS tapes
and CRT televisions.

You can't give them away....:no:

Caveat for this statement. I was so sick of looking at the bulk of our "un-watched" VHS tapes I GW'd them. Adult daughter was in storage the next week and came out pissed! "Do you even know how important some of those movies were to me?" (Couldn't help but remember my mom chucking some choice vinyl.)

Last edited:
Congrats...I too sold off one pair of my 42 pairs of speakers - Tannoy Monitor Golds in beautiful Tannoy cabinets, freed up some room and some cash...I told the buyer that it's an investment, then I thought to myself, why don't I keep them as an investment myself? But I do enjoy the space they freed up, and what am I doing now? Surfing CL... :(

42 pairs? Seriously?

Vintage audio is a TERRIBLE investment. Put your money in securities or real estate. Something that you don't have to store and can't be ruined by mice.

Giveaway

I donated a pile of stuff to a charity yesterday, hopefully the 1st of many. The receivers were units that I have not been able to sell, nor give away. Mostly Sony 5.1 units from package systems which I have no other parts to. I also gathered up 15 large speakers that had no mates, (I only robbed one tweeter from a pioneer). Also several pairs of speakers from small box systems. I got rid of a box of outdated computer items (wish I had taken a pic). It took 2 men 20 minutes to load it all up. Thankfully I have avoided buying many tape decks, cd players, or turn tables, so I don't have any to give away. My obsession has been speakers and amplifiers the whole time. The junk I have taken pictures(page 4) of is mostly in boxes, which are covered in sets of speakers. Most of these speakers & boxes are inside because I worried about mold forming on them before I sold them. I had a friend tell me, once "we don't own the audio we have, we are only stewards of these item and eventually they will find new homes". I didn't argue with him, but didn't agree with him either. However I realized I don't have any of the audio I started out with, some was sold, some was traded, some was damaged, but none of what I started out with, I still have. Now I do have an amplifier and EQ that was the first I ever purchased, from a pawn shop, but there was audio I had been given before then, which didn't last. That's the stuff that lit my fire, my first amp, a Pioneer with large chrome knobs with a giant volume knob, a pair of UV needle meters and 100wpc. I don't have a model number, but it damaged countless speakers and I loved it. Well hopefully I will continue to donate and sell more until I'm down to the bare bones. On an unfortunate note, only a small amount of items came from indoors, most of the items I donated, came from my garage, not my family room. I cleared about 6 feet indoors, 4 times that in the garage.

I feel for you, man. Sounds like you're in way to deep to the point it's more of a habit than a hobby. Lots of good advice in here but if it were me I'd setup a table (or 3) in my yard/driveway & put all those loose drivers/empty enclosures out there and post an ad on CL to the tune of "$20 all you can hold speakers" or similar. Most if not all would be cleared out with little effort on your part & you wouldn't be filling up a landfill. "Free speakers" would be even easier.

I think doing something like that would give you a little breathing room to better assess your situation & realistically determine what to keep, what could be sold for profit & what to donate and/or give away.

From some of the prices you're paying (Ohm Walsh2s - $10, Polk Sub psw10 - $20, Klipsch Herseys etc) it would take a weekend at most to liquidate everything via one big CL for sale ad & a few pics.

Good Luck, it's up to you to make it happen.

That's great, man. How does it feel to get started, and do you miss the stuff you gave away yesterday?

As I watched it go, being loaded up, I felt a welling of anxiety and walked off. But later I realized I didn't miss any of it. The hardest part of it has been deciding to let it go. I am hooking up my premium gear and unhooking the cheaper stuff. I must decide what to turn loose of.:scratch2:

Condensing items

I now am finishing some projects that I have parts sitting and stacked around for a while, like a subwoofer I recently completed. Next a set of Infinity Reference 4s that I got as empty cabinets(w-crossovers) and have collected all the drivers to fill them. I am getting all the parts for each project (speakers) together and boxing them up. The projects I don't have time to complete, I'm leaving them boxed. Then if I feel I don't really want them, I can sell them as kits or as individual parts. I'm doing this at night after work, so it's slow work. But I'm beginning to make a dent, but I'm finding, I want to keep more of the speakers I am completing. Thankfully most are small bookshelf speakers. The number of large speakers are few and currently I can count them on two hands. But the small set of speakers are now over 20 sets. Hopefully being able to look at them often, I can eventually start selling some of them. The speakers in my avatar are a couple of those projects, the tweeter inserts are Vifas and not the original B&Ws, they would have cost 5 times what these cost and have a great sound. I know the hard core B&W fans will not be ok with this in any way, but I was. And now they can be used, which is what I am doing with them now.

Last edited:
I know the feeling well, I now have six tuners. Tuners are easy to hide but hopefully I have bought my last tuner in SEP. I scored from the original owner a Sansui TU-717 for $100 from a local Craigslist ad, I've been wanting one of these tuners for a long time. I'll probably give a couple of my tuners to my daughters (I got them hooked on vintage stereo gear) and stay with four tuners which I'll rotate out of my collection.

Back
Top Bottom