InfiniTesimals

Which series? The original are very nice, but the original Modulus is heads above.

Martin

Original Infinitesimal
blogInfiniTesimal0.1-4.jpg

Infinitesimal 4
fabulous_infinity_infinitesimal_four_4_loud_speakers___foam___then_1_lgw.jpg

Original Modulus
infinity-modulus-02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification-
haven't heard any of them actually.
i've read as a stand alone the first ones were better than the Modulus.
and the 4?

I've not heard them in a long time, but I do recall the originals as being very clear and clean sounding with excellent imaging characteristics.

Thanks for the clarification-
haven't heard any of them actually.
i've read as a stand alone the first ones were better than the Modulus.
and the 4?

Many people get confused due to the fact Infinity would use the same name over and over. If you google Infinity Modulus more than likely you will see the later iteration which has about as much in common with the original as the later infinitesimal does to it's original. As you can see from the picture below, they are not even in the same league.

The EmitK tweeter in the Modulus extends to 45khz compared to the Infinitesimals 32khz, the mid-bass is injection molded graphite compared to polypropylene, the drivers are time aligned, etc. I've heard both, owned the Modulus system for more than 2 decades, it's really an awesome set up, frequency response: 22hz-45khz +/- 2db.

When tested by Stereo Review the sat had the flattest frequency response ever tested in the magazine's history +/- 1.5db 180-30,000hz, also the group delay of .1milliseconds from 500-29,000hz, and the waterfall plot was the closest to ideal, needless to say Julian Hirsch really liked them. They seldom show up on the Bay at a decent price, the sub almost never at any price. Saw a pair sell for $168 recently, I kick myself for not jumping on them.

Later Modulus system:

inifinity-modulus-black.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 pair : all original 0.1, moded pair of 0.1 (regular 5" poly instead of the watkins woofer which are unobtainium) and a pair of original 0.3 out in the garage. They all sound very good for speakers you can actually put on a bookshelf. Prices are very high on these but you will get your money back if you decide to sell and for speakers they don't get much easier to ship. My wife has the original 0.1 in our living room with a small sub and they are on almost continually. The moded pair of 0.1 are set up as near fields at my fly tying bench and sound amazing for that application.
Jim

Last edited:
Series I and II have the Watkins woofer, they're hard to beat. Un effing believable sound from such a tiny package. They will fill a reasonable room and have decent bass, even without a sub woofer.

Series IV are ok, nothing special. I've never heard the modulus.

I got lucky and found a cheap pair of series II that needed tweeters. Fortunately I have a small stash of EMITs lying around. But unless you're real space constrained, for the $400 - $500 these things tend to sell for on eBay, I'd look around for a set of RS 1.5's. EMIT tweeter, 12" Watkins woofer, even better!

bs

-There's a pair on ebay.not sure which series.I or II.

EDIT-currently 3 pairs!

Last edited:
I have a pair of originals that along with a little SX-680 and an iPod provide a very nice sounding, compact bedroom stereo.

4D477789-2A4B-4F60-A790-84908F16B2BA-831-0000012EFDFBD01B.jpg

Remarkably good sound for the size.

The "series" of the original late '70's early '80's are Infinity Infinitesimal Reference Standard 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3. First two are the more desirable with the watkins woofer. Do not be fooled all will need a subwoofer for full range sound. The little 5" cone will only do so much no matter how many voice coils it has.
Jim

I have a set. I think 2's. They are heavy and solid. The Watkins woofer is is amazing with its dual voice coils, each with a different resistance. The Emit tweeter is something really special. The result is a small speaker that has way more (and better) bass that you would expect and uncanny presence. I have them in my RV up front and it seems as if there are speakers all over the front. I do have a sub but I really only use it for the lowest notes.

I have a set. I think 2's. They are heavy and solid. The Watkins woofer is is amazing with its dual voice coils, each with a different resistance. The Emit tweeter is something really special. The result is a small speaker that has way more (and better) bass that you would expect and uncanny presence. I have them in my RV up front and it seems as if there are speakers all over the front. I do have a sub but I really only use it for the lowest notes.

Always thought they would be ideal in a van/rv setup. The guy I bought my 0.3's had them in a van for many years. They were pretty crispy from the heat but played fine.
Jim

Always thought they would be ideal in a van/rv setup. The guy I bought my 0.3's had them in a van for many years. They were pretty crispy from the heat but played fine.
Jim

Yes. The heat makes me nervous here in S.Fla so I take them off of the dash and put them in the house or on the seats when we aren't traveling. The RV has window coatings and blinds so I hope that helps. I took them apart a few months ago for a recap and to treat the wood and they seemed fine. I'd hate to have anything happen to them. They are too good and those Watkins are too scarce! I found them at a church yard sale late in the day and offered $15 for them. Best $15 I ever spent!:D:yes:

Unbelievable Kahoona, good for you! Apparently small miracles do happen :)

I'm listening to Infinitesimal's v. 0.2 as I write. I'm familiar with the original (real) Modulus (sold them for several years) and as nice as they are as a system with the mated sub, as satellites only they're pretty impotent IMO and not able to stand alone as a satisfying pair of speakers as v1 or v2 Infinitesimal can. If you find v1 or v2 with full assurance the drivers haven't been damaged or tampered with (hacked attempts at repair) I'd have no problems paying $350/pr. and maybe more with absolute assurance (see and hear in person). That 5" bass driver is especially becoming more fabled everyday. The last 5" Watkins driver I saw on eBay went for $185.

Last edited:
Hi all! Hey, can any of you tell me what the difference is in the Infinitesimal .1's and the .2's? The only difference I could see on the manual was the different wiring.
I heard the .1's are the best...what is difference in sound between the two. And how would I tell the difference between the two if I was to find some on ebay or elsewhere.
Sometimes they are sold on eBay but the seller doesn't know if they are 1's or 2's...Thanks for any info!

Visual clues, the 1.0 has a covered fuse holder on the terminal plate, only one switch on the terminal plate, and no screws holding the vertical trim pieces in place. Just my theory, the 1.0 also had the gray dual voice coil mid/woof cones.
2.0 has a visible fuse, two switches on the terminal panel, screws holding the vertical oak trim pieces in place, and again, just my thought, they had the clear cones on the dual voice coil mid/woofers.
3.0 had a single voice coil mid/woofer, clear cone.

...So I am curious. This pic has exposed fuse (like 2's) but one switch (like 1's). Do you know which model this pic is from?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-14 at 11.18.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-14 at 11.18.26 PM.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 38
Oh...thank you! That is very helpful. Here is another angle, but it does sound like these are 1's...

Your help is very much appreciated! ~leigh

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-09-15 at 10.01.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2018-09-15 at 10.01.36 AM.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom