Please Post your Infinity speakers

Thanks, that's good to know. My 2.5's also seem not quite seemless at the transition. I've been debating over spending nearly what I paid for the speakers, just to ensure they last as long as my hearing. Prices are climbing on used EMIMs and there might be nothing at all available when I eventually need replacements. One of mine has some sharp wrinkles, two others are a bit wavy. I don't hear any buzzing, rattling or other untoward sounds like some have mentioned, even at the highest volumes I care to listen. These are the first speakers I've had that don't start sounding rough before my SPL limit.

Thanks to the recommendations here and in other threads in this forum, I'm into my 3rd night of break-in on the new Graz ribbons in my RS 2.5's. Nearly halfway through the recommended 80 hours. The ones in the right speaker especially needed done. I paid the CC bill that included the charge to Apogee earlier tonight, and I have absolutely no regrets. Just doing the right speaker cured the slight channel imbalance and frequency dependent soundstage wander when sitting down (lower-right EMIM was delaminating). Now I don't feel like I need to raise my chair. With both done I haven't noticed any hint of suckout at the lower crossover. I can't really say the speakers sound better. What I can say is that the MUSIC sounds better. If I had to try to pin it down I guess I'd say there's even more detail, space in all directions and dynamics. When I got these speakers two years ago they made my entire music collection sound new to me. The more I listen, the more it seems the same thing is happening again. Oh, and this is using a Fiio X3 on shuffle as the source.

I decided to rotate my Infinity Servo-Stats back into use so while I was at it, I figured I would post a few pics.

First pics are of the 18” servo controlled sub woofer with the infinity amp/crossover network sitting on top. It’s my understanding that infinity sourced this woofer from Cerwin Vega. This setup is veneered in Brazilian Rosewood and when seen in real life, looks like a piece of art. It’s truly stunning in appearance.

The other pic is one of two, electrostatic mid/tweeter panels.

The SS1-A speaker system requires three amplifiers. The infinity amp drives the sub and one each amplifier (of your choice), drives the mid-range/tweeter panels. The amount of wiring to hook it all up is pretty substantial.

Although they are fully functional, I decided to build new bias supply boards being these take the abuse, of about 4kv of voltage. I’m also going to try to rebuild a couple of bad spare mid-range panels just in case (more like when) one of the working ones, go bad. In the meantime, I’ll keep looking for some good old ones or I’ll have to scratch build new ones, if I’m not successful.

These speakers were far ahead of their time and even today, they sound amazing.

I missed this.
This is where Arnie Nudell and company wheels hit the pavement.
Servo Statics that work and sound good:thmbsp:

Ok cool great speakers
But there is afew things you need to know
To prevent damage to drivers.
There are 4 fuses on the back
Never use slow blow must be fast acting fuses
Only. The next do not make the values higher than what they are
Never. If you do the end result will be a blown driver
And very hard to replace.
Next google the Manuel. There is one midrange
Just below the top. That one driver works hard
And has a fuse of 1 1/8 that is the one that blows when playing loud

While searching for spare Infinity drivers I stumbled across a pair of ERS-840 in-wall speakers. To be honest, I had no idea that these speakers even existed. From what I can tell they were only available for one year, 1997. That means they must have been one of the very last speakers to use the original EMIT design. It is called an EMIT N in this series, but looks identical to the EMIT K in the Kappa series and Modulus satellites. Apparently the ERS-840 was the top model of the series with an 8" IMG woofer. I only listened to them for a few minutes, but what I heard I liked. They definitely have that 80s/90s Infinity sound. They are also in excellent condition. No dents in the grills or other marks. I am not sure what I will use them for, so for now they will be stored. One day when the need for a pair of in-wall speakers arises, I will have the perfect pair.
I need a pair of Infinity ERS840's and would pay you for yours if you would sell them to me.
I really need them bad to match a set I already have.
Please.
Michael Marks
(93one) 56one-one668 Voice, text and Paypal Mobile.
I am serious.

I becoming reaquainted with the QLS-1s, back from their cautious reclining position after the last set of earthquakes.
Standing and delivering.

Last edited:
Here my RS-IIIa's in the listening / "home office in the living room" setup (In the evenings I have to hide the speakers from the kids to the corner on the left, next to the amp):

attachment.php

On the left Onkyo A-9070, 140 wpc at 4 Ohms w/ 0.05% THD.

Great combo IMO, currently blasting Mastodon's 'Once More 'Round the Sun' w/o a sweat :guitar::thmbsp:

Attachments

• WP_20140501_09_35_03_Pro_v1.jpg
    WP_20140501_09_35_03_Pro_v1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 309
Infinity 5b clones

Infinity Qa cabs with hacked up front baffles.

IMG_20140509_194750%5B1%5D-M.jpg

NEW front baffles ready to be installed.

100_1114-M.jpg

Cabs are re-sealed and braced. New front baffles are MDF instead of the original particle board, the drivers will be flush mounted. The crossovers are being rebuilt with upgraded parts.

These will be finished very soon. I swear it!

Have owned a few different sets of Infinity speakers, this is the only pair that have stayed with me for the past 2.5 decades, the original Modulus setup with matching sub. If you've never heard them with the original sub you're missing something really spectacular.

Martin

Last edited:
My 2Bs

New to me earlier this year. Woofers rebuilt by Bill Watkins. EMIMs replaced with pristine examples from a west coast enthusiast. I'd rate them a 9 now. Very clean. Cabinets near perfect. Future projects will be a xover rebuild (or I may go active) with proper binding posts.

I also have a pair of 3As, which for the money I paid ($400) are one of the best bargains in my 40+ years of audio enthusiasm.

KJ

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 89
  • i2.jpg
    i2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 81
  • i3.jpg
    i3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 78
New to me earlier this year. Woofers rebuilt by Bill Watkins. EMIMs replaced with pristine examples from a west coast enthusiast. I'd rate them a 9 now. Very clean. Cabinets near perfect. Future projects will be a xover rebuild (or I may go active) with proper binding posts.

I also have a pair of 3As, which for the money I paid ($400) are one of the best bargains in my 40+ years of audio enthusiasm.

KJ
Very nice!

Throwback surround

I am using a pair of RS-325s for fronts, RS-10 Servo Sub and pair of Reference -ELs for rears with Pioneer VSX5600 as a throw-back surround system. Nothing fancy, but still sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom