Infinity Kappa 8 and Yamaha CR-2020

Robmag

Today I finally hooked up my Kappa 8's that i bought a month ago. My main System uses a Citation II amplifier and I know it will not drive these power hungry speakers, so I decided to try my Yamaha CR-2020, I use in my Basement workout room... Well I hooked them up and put some Eagles in the CD player and gave it a try. At low volume levels it sounded great but once you try to push them a little harder that just break up. The mid bass polygraph sounded horrible! and the receiver starts giving off lots of heat... Bottom line I will have to try to find me another amp to use in this setup. Thought I would post my little experiment....

There will be others to reply, as an owner and I have been down the road. On a budget get a pro amp.

I currently power mine with a QSC GX5.

It does a fine job and sounds good to me. I recently bought an Iverson Eagle 7A amp and HELLO !

Your never going to be happy until you give them serious power.

Get Some! And Enjoy!!!!!

There will be others to reply, as an owner and I have been down the road. On a budget get a pro amp.

I currently power mine with a QSC GX5.

It does a fine job and sounds good to me. I recently bought an Iverson Eagle 7A amp and HELLO !

Your never going to be happy until you give them serious power.

Get Some! And Enjoy!!!!!

If I find a descent Mcintosh MC2105 will they handle the job? They are not real expensive and Terry Dewick said they are not expensive for him to get running nice.

I have been on the hunt for an Mcintosh Amp myself. Personally after burning thru carvers, Adcoms, and several others. I'd side on the error of caution with the lower powered Mcintosh Amps.

The Kappa 8's will dip low and without auditioning these older Mcintosh amps you should try them before you buy.

Lowest I'd consider is the MC-2270, I might be wrong about that number. But I'm close. I guess it all depends on your listening levels.

Just save your money and buy something nice. I ended up getting a Threshold for my Infinities. An S/500 for the bottom and S/300 for the top would be nice on those Kappas.

If you're on a tight budget it may be better to just look for the best deal on a variety amps for sale locally and be ready to make an offer. I found my McIntosh MC7200 that way. He wasn't giving it away but it was a great deal and looks like it just came out of the box. I see fine amps all the time for sale every week on CL at decent prices and once in a while a true bargain.
Jim

Find acurus a250 on. eBay

Get a decent preamp. You can power those infinity with that pair. I am using that for my RS II 's and never run out of clean safe power.

Curious on something form Kappa owners, what is the classic signs of under powering these speakers. I know the Bass on mine sucks. My wife said it sounds like a Pop corn popper....

I do not think any receiver can properly power

Larger infinities as they require lots of power at low impedance . Get a preamp & power amp that can go to 4,ohms with clean power.

Kappa 9's impressed me with a carver silver 7 t. Presumably kappa 8 also should behave the same.
Cool.
srinath.

McIntosh amps are stable down to one ohm loads, even the Kappa series speakers would not phase them. An MC2105/C28 combo would work very well, plus they look great!

McIntosh amps are stable down to one ohm loads, even the Kappa series speakers would not phase them. An MC2105/C28 combo would work very well, plus they look great!

I concur :yes:
And the MC 2120 will do the job just fine. go for it:smoke:

Driving Kappa 8's with a 2020 is just asking for disaster of the smoking receiver type. I like Yamaha stuff, but they don't seem to like difficult loads, which I found out the hard (expensive) way.

Got a pair of Classe DR-8's and hooked them up. Magic. Wow these speakers sound great and the bass extension is unreal. I can not imagine how the Kappa 9's sound. I am using the preamp form the Yamaha receiver to feed the amps and I need to find an inexpensive preamp for the setup. These amps were made for these speakers!

I am running a CR-3020 on top and a Acurus A250 on the bottom. The Yamaha does not get warm at all but i would not run both.

Back
Top Bottom