"Classic pairings" for speakers and a low power CA-400 int. amp?

ictwoody

I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007.
Hey guys. My younger brother's birthday is one week away. As a gift I have pulled some stuff together for a small system for him. He is a trained jazz musician, pianist, but he will be listening to a large variety of music I imagine.

The main component of this system is a small Yammie CA-400 Integrated I purchased from a member here on AK. I would say that 95% of the time he will be streaming music from iTunes to an Apple Airport Express going into the amps Aux in. No DAC or anything like that for now. I think he'll probably wind up spinning some vinyl eventually... But not immediately.

I have a pair of speakers I am planning on giving him, Snell Type K's. I've listened to the combo and I think it sounds pretty good. The Yammie seems very "honest" and maybe a touch "crisp" (harsh is to strong of a word) to my ears, and the ability to adjust the Snell's tweeter pot allows me to find a nice balance.

I've searched AK some, but I'm wondering what you Yamaha guys consider classic speakers to pair with Yamaha gear? Kinda like how the Marantz guys told me that KLH 17's and Dynaco A-25's are tried and true pairings with my Marantz 1060 integrated. This is my first experience with Vintage Yamaha.

At only 22wpc suggestions for fairly efficient speakers would be good. I do have some other sets of speakers that I MIGHT let him have... But only if something that you guys mention happens to already be in my quiver of speakers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-Woody

Well... fwiw, I have a CA 400 that I use daily, I have paired it with DCM TF600, also have a pair Allison 6s connected. The Time Frames are great, clean, clear excellent image. Hope this helps.

I'd probably start with Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 5 or 7, or something like ads L-420 or L-710. Many other potential pairings that could be quite satisfactory - it's going to depend on the size and nature of one's listening room, how loud one prefers to listen and to what sort of music one prefers to listen. Vintage Yamahas mate extremely well with the vintage Polk Audio loudspeakers - a very common pairing in the second half of the 1970s.

I suspect that the crispness the OP is hearing is all Snell (some of their models are somewhat notorious for that). The vintage Yamahas tend towards the smooth, like buttah.

Just my hardly-humble opinions, needless to say.

Dammit... I was worried someone would mention some of these.

I have a MINT set of Polk Monitor 5's that I adore. I have been using them in my office with my HK430. No boxes, but they have the original manual and warranty card even! I got them from the original owner a couple of months ago for $80. I also have a set of ADS L520's that I really like and I use as my No.1 set of B speakers when I have my ADS 1090/2's hooked up. The 520's are great for listening late at night so as not to disturb others in the house.

Hmmm... I guess the question is younger brother worthy of me parting with some speakers I really like for his 27th BD and his introduction into vintage gear.

Thanks for your feedback guys... I guess I have some listening to do between now and when we get together to celebrate on Sunday.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm still listening.

- Woody

I'd probably start with Polk Audio Monitor Series Model 5 or 7, or something like ads L-420 or L-710. Many other potential pairings that could be quite satisfactory - it's going to depend on the size and nature of one's listening room, how loud one prefers to listen and to what sort of music one prefers to listen. Vintage Yamahas mate extremely well with the vintage Polk Audio loudspeakers - a very common pairing in the second half of the 1970s.

I suspect that the crispness the OP is hearing is all Snell (some of their models are somewhat notorious for that). The vintage Yamahas tend towards the smooth, like buttah.

The old Polks also very much liked their h/k contemporaries, too...

whatmore.jpg

Well tonight I setup my brothers future system to do some listening. CA-400 being fed by my Apple Airport Express into aux. I'm providing him all the cables and wires too... So I am listening to the actual setup down to the wires he'll have. The only difference of course is the room.

For now I'd say 99% of the time he'll be streaming to his APE via his iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro... We're kinda Apple fanboys. So for the purposes of this listening and speaker auditioning session I streamed a variety of music from my iPhone directly to the Airport - while sitting on my comfy listening couch. I will admit, this was quite nice to be able to jump around in music and adjust volume without getting up. Who needs a remote for their amp? Not my bro.

Tonight I hooked up the ADS L520's. Eff me... You guys are right again!!! They sound amazing. A bit bass shy, but OMG, smooth detailed highs and mids and pretty much the textbook definition of what I imagine Yamaha meant by Natural Sound. Not fatiguing at all... You could listen to this combo for days. They are sitting on 16" high stands about 6' apart with no toe-in or out. They are in the middle of the room facing the couch that is against the wall. In his living room they will probably be backed up against a wall, will this help reenforce the bass?

The soundstage was huge! Very lifelike too. Considering the source I was absolutely floored. Especially when I think that I paid $100 for the speakers and only have about $70 total invested in the amp... Including shipping! Tomorrow I am going to A/B them with the Polks and see how they compare. Man, this stuff is too much fun. If he's not over the moon about this system then I'm gonna keep it ;-)

More to come.

- Woody

Now if you truly love your brother, give him a set of K'horns with the CA-400. That'll sing.

Now if you truly love your brother, give him a set of K'horns with the CA-400. That'll sing.

Y'know... that probably wouldn't be bad, now that you mention it.
Heck, even a pair of Cornies would be OK.

Last edited:
I don't know why... I didn't think Klipsch and Yamaha paired well. Seemed like I read that somewhere. I guess I should try my KG 2.5's with it too huh?

- Woody

Well yesterday we celebrated my brothers birthday. I had the system all setup for him to audition and we went from Snells>Polks>ADS... He took the ADS. They were really the hands down winner... But I think I'm gonna miss those ones. Might just have to snag another pair.

He was thrilled with the gift and I think it was a big surprise even though he asked me a while back about helping him put together a vintage system.

Thanks for you guys suggestions. We have made another believer in the awesomeness of good gear, and I scored some major brotherly karma.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom