1988 ax 700 capacitor question

twc5964

I need to replace the two Elna 18000uf 71 volt caps with 4 pins and cannot find a replacement that will fit the circuit board. I've re-capped lots of equipment with exact replacements that fits .This time I'll have to go a different route. If I was to buy lets say 18000uf 5 pin 80 volt and can figure out a way to mount them laying down can I run wires from one + and and one - terminal of each cap to the + and - on the circuit board without any problems and leave the other 2 mounting holes on the circuit board blank ? The 63 volt 4 pin 35mm width are readily available,however,I obviously cant use them as that voltage is too low for the circuit so I must go with 80 to 100 volt caps. Thanks for any help would be appreciated !

Last edited:
Sorry my camera is a dead soldier at the moment.I wound up purchasing four 10000uf 80volt 4 pin Panny t-ups. Two are mounted in the original spots and the other two are mounted underneath on a crossbeam of the frame and soldered jumper wires from the caps to the circuit board.I used these metal bands from some old oil caps for industrial lights with rubber strips inside the bands to secure the caps. It works,sounds fantastic after doing a 99% cap replacement.The several left I'll get to later as the are going to be a pain in the neck and will require further disassembly.

I bought it off of the famous you know who site and I could not believe how new it looked.Appeared to be just taken out of the box and never used then stored in a closet since 1988.It worked in stock form but I was worried about the electrolytics so I went ahead and changed most of them out with Nichicon KZ,Elna Silmics,and Panny fc. I love the sound from Yamaha integrated amps.I did a full re-cap on my ax-592some years back and will be receiving an ax-596 shortly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom