New England Winter Frankenfest Feb. 23 workshops thread

audiodon

Addicted Member
Hi,
We would like to achieve our workshop dreams, corral in our ad-hoc workshop impulses and channel those impulses into a couple/few workshops during our get-togethers.

I would like to:
1. Coordinate workshops so they happen through this thread and PMs.
2. Set up and maintain a schedule.
I will bring a posterboard tripod and posterboard with workshop schedules, locations and times.

Definite workshops for February 23rd:
1. Speaker refoaming workshop. Bostown will show off his voice coil centering and his use of adhesive skills at 12:00 on Saturday February 23rd.

Why is this workshop so early you ask?

It takes a few hours for the glue to set and the drivers to be reinstalled to demonstrate how well the refoaming works. This way the repaired speakers can be demonstrated before too many people have to leave.

Do you have a pair of speakers that need the woofers and/or midranges refoamed? Are you willing to:
1. Purchase and bring the refoaming kits?
2. Pull the drivers from the speaker cabinets before the workshop?
3. Bring the speaker cabinets and all fastening hardware for reinsertion and testing afterwards?
4. Arrive early enough before noon to make sure the speaker baskets have warmed up?

We are looking for a candidate who is willing to do the legwork to get everything they need for cone driver refoaming except for the refoaming itself. Bostown can provide guidance on items 1-4.

PM me. We can only do this for one person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Grading Workshop
This idea has been floated between Todd MacDona, truck99 and Tom in RI.
Are any of you willing to work with me to make sure that this happens by laying down some parameters for this? I will also ask Stephanie Gaynor if she is interested in this workshop.
Post your answers in the thread and PM me for coordination on time, room, what you'd need, and other important information.

Nelson Pass Room:
Both Gigbyt and BillyK have expressed interest in this.

This isn't really a workshop, but should be coordinated so we have speakers, interconnects, players, tables, etc.

Would it make sense to have an East vs. West speaker showdown in the same space with the same gear? How much power do the Pass amps deliver and how efficient are the proposed speakers?

Should a DAC smackdown happen in the same space with the same gear? I can volunteer my Audioquest Dragonfly against C6 Bill's piece of Schiit.
Please PM me with information and questions.

Since we're all surprisingly good at filling up the day with conversation, consumption, buying & selling and outright schmoozing, limiting the number of informal workshops would be good to help keep it spontaneous and fun. Since we seem to get together about three times a year, we can space workshops out over the different get-togethers as interest and presenting talent is available and to limit the amount of work necessary, to keep there from being overlapping workshops where you might want to drop in on both at the same time, and to keep it from turning into work for a few.

Here is a list of other possible workshops from this thread and the last couple. Let's keep a running list.
*Turntable setup
*Multimeter use
*Achieving system synergy

Any of these or others may pop-up or drop-out on short notice. This thread will contain that information.

Post in the thread and PM me for coordination on room and times.

Don

Last edited:
Any interest in a tube amp recap workshop?

I've got caps and tools.....I could do an amp for someone.....maybe a maggie 88 or 93 ?

Circuits are simple enough. :)

Could even do the whole 'switch / fuse / binding post' thang too.......

I can bring a Nakamichi PA-7 and some JBL 4311b as discussed in another thread. This can be for the Pass set up. I have a selector which will run at least 2 amps and 2 or 3 speaker sets. I can also bring that.
I would like to do a record grading table, whether or not it needs to be a seminar I don't know.

I've got caps and tools.....I could do an amp for someone.....maybe a maggie 88 or 93 ?

Circuits are simple enough. :)

Could even do the whole 'switch / fuse / binding post' thang too.......

Markus, I just got a Scott LK 48. Picked it up Friday. Brought it up on a variac, all the tubes except the 5AR4 lit up. Can you use this for a demo? If it just the tube, if someone has a cheapo for sale I could buy it and see if the unit functions, needs caps etc.

I've got caps and tools.....I could do an amp for someone...
If there's no suitable tube amp, I have an early Fisher solid state receiver that could be the transplant candidate.

I'll be bringing my little integrated that is a Pass B1-"Amp Camp" mono block combo with an ODAC DAC built in. It is 5 watts per channel. I don't know if I'll have my mMar-Ken6ps finished in time... I do have a pair of Polk Monitor Series 5 I'll bring along if I don't. I am also bringing my Crack OTL headlamp, gamma 2 DAC, and whatever else...
I am really interested in the speaker repair, let me see if I can get it together in the next few days. I don't want to over commit! :nono:

I'll be bringing the Aleph 30.

its 30 wpc at 8 ohms of pure class A goodness.:music:

I might also bring the TAD 150 SIGNATURE PREAMP as well, we'll see.

Urchinn has first dibs on the speaker recone.

I'd like to line up a second candidate in case something falls through.
The good news for the second candidate? You could do yours right there with Bostown supervising what you do!

Stephanie Gaynor agreed to lay out the formal structure of record grading. More to come after she returns from vacation.

I just need to find the pair I want to repair so I can see if I can get a kit for them. Should know by Wed.

Have a pair of Advent NALS. and surrounds waiting to be done. However, having refoamed speakers before, will gladly step aside if someone wants to step in.

Urchinn has first dibs on the speaker recone.

I'd like to line up a second candidate in case something falls through.
The good news for the second candidate? You could do yours right there with Bostown supervising what you do!...
I can vouch for Bostown's speaker cone repair instruction. He taught me everything I know about it.

My Snells are the Type E Series II. I need to order new surrounds ASAP in order to have everything ready for the meet. Anybody suggest a good/honest place to buy these? Thanks, Ya'll...

Have a pair of Advent NALS. and surrounds waiting to be done. However, having refoamed speakers before, will gladly step aside if someone wants to step in.

Since there are a few ways to re-foam a set of speakers , bring them, and maybe share your method during the workshop. - To keep it simple I'm going to follow the method included with Rick Cobbs foam kit. using a low freq tone to center the voice coil. Maybe the next fest we can do the shim method.

Markus, I just got a Scott LK 48. Picked it up Friday. Brought it up on a variac, all the tubes except the 5AR4 lit up. Can you use this for a demo? If it just the tube, if someone has a cheapo for sale I could buy it and see if the unit functions, needs caps etc.

I don't have any 5ar4's....are you sure the tubes bad? My only other concern is there's over 20 caps in that baby :D. I could probably do the coupling caps, but my idea was to take a power amp (about 10 or less caps total to replace) and do the 3 or 4 power supply caps, 2 to 4 coupling caps, and the cathode bypass caps in under an hour, giving us a totally recapped working amp to play.

That being said, a partial recap would be good for people to see too :)

I have a few console amps that could work......I just did a radio craftsman c400 in under an hour :D push/pull 6v6 mono....spacious under the hood, and the power supply's resistors were already on terminal strips so it was a breeze.....

I don't have any 5ar4's....are you sure the tubes bad? My only other concern is there's over 20 caps in that baby :D. I could probably do the coupling caps, but my idea was to take a power amp (about 10 or less caps total to replace) and do the 3 or 4 power supply caps, 2 to 4 coupling caps, and the cathode bypass caps in under an hour, giving us a totally recapped working amp to play.

That being said, a partial recap would be good for people to see too :)

I have a few console amps that could work......I just did a radio craftsman c400 in under an hour :D push/pull 6v6 mono....spacious under the hood, and the power supply's resistors were already on terminal strips so it was a breeze.....

Markus, don't know if the tube is bad, only that it does not light up like the others and no sound from the unit. I am in Spencer if you want to take a quick peek or I can post some pics. I will try to find a tube and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom