my yamaha question

greg s

i have a question about a yamaha preamp. i plan on bi amping some speakers that i have and would like to run a preamp and 2 separate amplifiers. i already know what amplifiers i will be using i will be using a yamaha ax 500u for the high frequencies and mids and a m45 to run the low frequencies. they will be running through a outlaw audio icbm-1 bass controller to separate the frequencies. if you dont know anything about the outlaw audio icbm-1 it is a 4 channel bass management system that allows you to set individual crossover points limiting the lowest frequency coming from the amplifier to the speaker and has a subwoofer controller built in. this is my basic plan and i would like to know what a good starter preamp would be. i would prefer it didnt have its own turnover dials and cost around 200 dollars though a little more would not kill me. these are pics of the components i will be running with the preamp and the m45 both of which i will be buying shortly. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• yamaha stuffs 002.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 14
  • yamaha stuffs 003.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 003.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 17
  • yamaha stuffs 004.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 004.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
  • yamaha stuffs 005.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 005.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
  • yamaha stuffs 006.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 006.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
  • yamaha stuffs 007.jpg
    yamaha stuffs 007.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12
It's better to use the M-45 for the tweeters. Its class A mode will provide lower distortion and it's only in the tweeters where this minimal distortion is of benefit.

The AX500 will have no problem driving your woofers. You will need to modify it though, as it lacks a main in connection.

i have run it as a second amp before out of my nakamichi ta2a to see if it would work and had no issues. but i could run it for the woofers i suppose thats no issue. but what would be a decent pre amp to control this conglomeraton of stuff?

Back
Top Bottom