How many LP-12 owners on AK?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just curious guys.
How many LP-12 owners are there on AK? Lets have a show of hands.

I am. But mine is a pretty unusual, in that I have an ET-2 Tonearm, and a Sota Reflex clamp mounted on mine.

attachment.php

Aug 4th 1979 LP12 with Akito arm with Grado Sonata cartridge, with fresh oil.:D

That's a wild version of a LP12 Goldear..

update:

Vahalla Board installed, new motor, Ittok ViI arm and Dorian cartridge. Like having a new turntable.

I wish I knew more about the Cirkus it seems to be a matter of taste of what happens when you install it.

I am. But mine is a pretty unusual, in that I have an ET-2 Tonearm, and a Sota Reflex clamp mounted on mine.

attachment.php

THought you weren't supposed to put a clamp on a Linn. How did it improve the sound doing that?

THought you weren't supposed to put a clamp on a Linn. How did it improve the sound doing that?
Well, your not supposed to put an ET-2 on a Linn either. But I'm not always one to listen to the Linn propaganda about these matters. And it turns-out that the ET-2 is a superb sounding match, its just very tricky to setup properly on a Linn.

The Sota clamp just firms-up the sound a bit (tightens the bass a little), and makes the quiet spots a little darker.

I have a very early LP-12 with Ittock LV II Arm, Sumiko Blackbird cartridge, upgraded power supply, and hopefully many happy years of listening ahead...

Also have an Axis, with Basik IV Arm, and an Adikt cartridge. I love it in my "back-up" system...

One of mine has an Ittok LVIII arm and a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge. Also the Hercules II power supply.

The other has a Basik arm, a Grado Prestige Red cartridge and the Valhalla power supply.

One of mine has an Ittok LVIII arm and a Grado Reference Sonata cartridge.

The other has a Basik arm and a Grado Prestige Red cartridge.

Do either of yours do a hum. Mine does an off again on again kind of thing. Really only notice it between tracks.

Thanks

Hi
I have a 1986 LP12/Vallhalla /Ittok/Denon 103. I have replaced the belt last year.

Regards
Rajiv

Do either of yours do a hum. Mine does an off again on again kind of thing. Really only notice it between tracks.

Thanks

The Sonata hums as it approaches the lead out grooves...clearly picking up something from the motor. I've got some mu-metal on order, and will see if shielding the motor helps at all.

The Red has no such issues.

Hi,

1985 LP12/Ittok LV-II/Karma (retipped in 2000)/Cirkus suspension/Trampolin baseboard with Linn Lingo power supply.

Love it!

a flat-earther? yes. A Linnie, well maybe...

I have a fully loaded one, I also use an Axis in my bedroom system.

When you say, "fully loaded" do you have a Keel??? I was considering one. Yes, they are grossly expensive (3250.00USD) Yet after hearing one in Ann Arbor at Overture Audio I feel that it firms up the sub-chassis and starts to combine the virtues of a rigid suspension table with a suspended. It also controls the geometry within a much tighter tolerance spec. I could buy the Keel or ... pay off my Mini Cooper loan, go on vacation to the Virgin Islands, or maybe start that bathroom remodel, so sufficed to say the dollars haven't jumped out of my pocket.

Presently I have a Sondek (sound-deck) Lp12, Ittok LVII, Cirkus, Trampolin, Lingo, with a new Akiva cartridge. The table and arm have been irreplaceable for me since 1982.

In the words of Ivor Tiefenbrun "A Wee Dram of Scotch" or more might be needed for me to get Keeled.

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

how many Linn Owners?

Hi all,

My first post. I too have an LP12. Box stock, purchased in the Fall of 1982 from a dealer in Southern CA. He started carrying Pink Triangle and sold off his demo LP12. I have the cherry plinth, or was it rosewood?? (Had to go look, think it's rosewood...) I was kinda disappointed, I always thought the lighter wood with the grooves in was the best looking.

Nothing's been done to it save replacing the thrust bearing cap on the motor, the original was noisy. Bought it w/o arm, bought a new Signet XK50 arm to put on it. Currently I'm using either a Shure V15VMR or Grado Platinum, but the Grado hums, so I probably use the Shure more. I did talk to Grado about it, they told me mumetal wouldn't help, I'd have to put it on the cartridge. I'm interested to see if the other post lets us know if his shielding works or not. Oh, and I tried a bunch of homemade turntable mats and plain thin cork sounds the best IMHO (recorded to wav files and played back on my iPod with Sony in-ear 'phones...)

I was working as a R&R touring sound engineer the year I bought it, and went to every stereo store in the country on my days off. I asked, simply, what record player/deck would you buy if you could buy the best, and almost unanimously the response was LP12. So I bought one.....

Hi All,

I have a used Linn LP12 TT, S/N 079957 with Ekos tonearm, Troika Cartridge and Lingo power supply. I really dont know what year this belongs to. Maybe someone here can read from the Serial Number and decode? An Ortofon MC stepup transformer helps boost the Troika signal.

Anyway, I am very happy with its performance - especially with my Vintage McIntosh setup. Simply musical.

Cheers!

I have a 70's vintage LP12 with a new bottom board, main bearing (NOT Cirkus, did not like what it did to the bass)fresh motor and Vallhalla as of 1998 or 1999??, Grace 707 Tonearm/Benz-micro ACE, wired with the new Cardas silver interconnect, clear dustcover and a silver powercord.

I am thinking of going with a new motor package for it, the one that is a true DC, running off a battery.

I love my table.
It makes real music and seems to show me what is on the vinyl...good, bad or otherwise...it does not get in the way of the music.
I like the fact that you can stay more basic, like mine...or go to the moon with the table.

I run a late 70s LP12 fitted with a Hercules Vallhalla replacement - a great upgrade! with the adantage of having two speeds. I have recently fitted an Origin Live Silver arm - much better than the original Ittok! (very overated arm imho?). I run an Ortofon MC Jubilee thru a Naim phono pre-amp. I changed the Ittok simply because it was wearing out and wouldnt track the Ortofon and Linn No longer offer support for this arm! the Origin Live Silver is a bargain! and if a great match for the LP12.

Back
Top Bottom