The Making Of My New Listening Space

bob06

Addicted Member
This a basement room I decided to make into my listening space. I ended up building a room inside a room. When it was all said and done I ended up having a space that is 18x20. What I think is neat about this room it has a semi circular wall when I finished the drywall and doorway. It's not finished yet. Waiting on the carpet installers. Then I can start setting up my gear.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 424
Now a couple of pictures of it almost done. I'm hoping this will make a great listening space.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 311
Congrats on setting up a dedicated listening room...I'm hoping you're giving a serious acoustic treatment scenario some strong consideration because you have some great dimensions to work with.

However, the curved wall could be an issue and will probably have to be addressed. Surfaces that are convex into the room will scatter sonic content which is desirable, but surfaces that are concave will focus sonic content which is not desirable. You'll almost certainly need to get plenty of absorption or diffusion on that wall because I'm pretty sure you don't want focused sound energy coming right at you from anything but the speakers.

Thanks guys. I'm in the process of getting my material for my acoustic panels. The curved wall and the wood ceiling did have me worried a bit. Wasn't sure how it will play out. The curved wall will be the back wall of my listening space so not sure if that helps or not.

Let's make sure we're on the same page....the back (rear) wall is the wall behind the listening position and the front wall is the wall behind the speakers. Do you mean the curved wall is the one that will be behind the listening position?

The wood ceiling won't be a problem.

Great looking room.

Can't figure out the floor. Looks like tile, but also looks like cement.

Yes the curved wall will be behind the listening position.

Ok...that being the case you absolutely need to address that surface as it will have a great deal of influence over what you hear. Do you know yet how far or approx how far the listening position will be from that wall?

I read some where that it should be 2/3rds of the length of the room. That would make the seating 11 to 12 feet from the front wall.

I read some where that it should be 2/3rds of the length of the room. That would make the seating 11 to 12 feet from the front wall.

I think you'll find that rule may not apply to your room since it's a typical recommendation made for rectangular rooms....which, well, yours obviously isn't :thmbsp: And don't think that's a bad thing....the irregular surfaces your room has stand a good chance of working in your favor as they're eliminating some of the parallel opposing boundary layers that are a source of many acoustic issues in a rectangular space.

Well we will see how it plays out when it's all together. I ordered a 8pack of 2x4x3 safe & sound insulation so that will give me enough for 8 panels.

So acoustic panels on the curved wall?

Hmm. The concave boundary layer is a bridge I personally haven't crossed. I've only run across information when doing research on room acoustics that speaks about "parabolic effect". Have a look at this...

foc3.gif

...where the sound source is the point centered in front of the parabola. In your case the scenario would be reversed and with the sound source coming from the speakers opposite the parabola all sonic content would be focused right at the listening position. I suspect this would create an early reflection that's probably actually higher in SPL than the direct wave coming from the speakers....which you very much want to avoid. Because of this I'm inclined to think you need to make that wall pretty much disappear. I'd lean toward having the majority of its surface area covered with broadband absorption and perhaps slats in a binary sequence over the absorption panels to help scatter and return some energy into the room since you'll be making a good deal of that wall "dead".

But one thing is for sure.... I'm very interested to hear what you hear from that untreated wall when you get some gear in the room and can play some music. :scratch2: :yes:

That wall has a fireplace in it. It's made out of concrete and bricks. Its about 5ft thick. :scratch2:

It will be another week or two before I'm listening to vinyl. But I will keep you posted. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom