Older Epson Projector

Beatnik

What's this ?
I picked up an old Epson EMP-1715 projector. I have a choice of component (yellow rca), s-video or vga and list of resolutions and I'm already confused. Which should I use for best display for movies ?

emp1715.jpg

Attachments

• projector.jpg
    projector.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 22
VGA @ 1024x768, 60hz.

What will be your source?

BTW, the yellow input is composite, not component. Component has three video inputs.

Last edited:
Your best bet might be to come off the HDMI out of your computer into an adapter. Adapters are inexpensive.

Before we go further, I'm assuming you've tested the projector and it is functioning properly. It is certainly not worth putting any money into it, especially an expensive bulb.

I guess you're trying to use it for home theater. You'll probably be pretty disappointed with the picture quality, especially if you've seen a more modern projector. I think these types of projectors are OK for PowerPoint presentations, but not so much for movies.

I tested it as far as turning on and going through the menus, says the bulb has 900+ hours on a 2000 hour life and I've set it low to gain more life. This is just something to mess around with because it was 50 bucks so I can probably sell it and get my money back.

It's going to be just projected on a wall anyway unless it surprises me, then I'll worry about getting it to hook up to all my sources.

I was looking at DVI to VGA since they are so cheap, would that give the resolution ?

Just hooked up the dvd, seems to be working fine. Sure it's no 3000 dollar projector, but I think it'll be fun for awhile as a 50 dollar toy.

The dvi to VGA should be the easiest method, just a passive adapter. My projector can support component to VGA passive conversion which is nice for hooking up a DVD player. Better resolution that way than composite.

I got a nice used screen from the maintenance dept. of the local university. They had not used it in a long time. It is not the highest resolution of course, but like you said it was $50, not $3000. It is totally watchable especially if you have a good sound system. I would think that if you are on this forum, you have one that is quite sufficient for the task. Besides, DVD is only 480p anyway.
You can find the bulbs for $50 on the bay.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got stuff like all here. Been 3.0 for a while with Paradigm Studio 20's and center. Got the matching rears to go all out 5.0. There's a couple of subs too, but haven't messed with them, don't even know if they work. Maybe I'll mess around with this stuff.

I love 5.1 for movies. The sandstorm in Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is interesting. You can hear the wind and sand blowing around you. The earthquake in 2012 has some interesting effects too.

Get a component video to VGA cable and use the 3 connector component video out from a dvd or Blu-ray player. You may have to go into the menu on the projector and set it for component input from the VGA port. This is how I use mine and I get 1080i res from it.

Still hooked up composite video and shooting on the wall from the dvd. Money is low and a screen and cable will have to wait. I am enjoying it though.

Made a little set up to mask the frame at the projector and cut out some of the unwanted light top and bottom of the screen. Used some black plastic and Velcro. It's not in the focal plane as I think they call it, so it kind of fades to black just after the 16:9 border. I'm projecting over the fireplace and this keeps it from lighting up the stuff on the mantle and to the ceiling.

My component to VGA cable I made, and it works great.

Never thought about blocking some of the excess light at the source like that, may have to look at building something like for mine.

Here's my temporary sheet screen and projector stand. :)

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 20
  • projector.JPG
    projector.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 21
Here's the masking without and with. Not a major difference, but it helps a bit. I'm not about to paint the ceiling black.

Attachments

• without.JPG
    without.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 18
  • with.JPG
    with.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 20
That cable would work, but like I said, I made mine myself. Used an old monitor VGA and a component cable and figured out the pinout of the VGA to make the connections. Wasn't willing to pay that kind of cash at the time, and wanted it sooner than shipping. I could make another, but you might check eBay, I think they were cheaper.

The tape does make a difference, probably would be even more pronounced with mine.

Looks like you are tight for space there. :) My stand is a roundup display I brought home from work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom