I like popcorn ceilings!!

NJguy

Every home buying show i see people always complain "oh that popcorn ceiling has to go". Come on really?

I like it. I like the texture. Its also great for acoustics and actually is one of its original intentions. I think it looks good and dont see what the hate is all about.

Maybe its like silver faced receivers where some people look at the, and think its dated but i see beauty. Am i the only one?

They look to me like they would collect a lot of dust/dirt and overall yuckies over time. Never lived in a home with that type of ceiling before but it looks like a lot of maintenance and not something you can clean ....

My parents' house has the original popcorn ceilings that they sprayed on in 1978. Still look fine. Don't collect much of anything other than the occasional cobweb.

Our house had them before we moved in, but we had them scraped off and re-textured before we moved in. Acoustically, I'm sure it's better. But it does tend to make things (IMO) look more dated. And depending upon age, location, etc, they can get kind of grungy looking over time.

They look to me like they would collect a lot of dust/dirt and overall yuckies over time. Never lived in a home with that type of ceiling before but it looks like a lot of maintenance and not something you can clean ....

Ive been in my house for 14 years and never noticed any dust pileup on the ceiling. Probably because the popcorn is pointing down which doesntbreally make it a great place for dust to settle.

Our current house has them. I rarely even notice them. They don't do much for me one way or another, actually. Now the wall paper, we do have to do something with that, eventually.

I'm not really a fan, but it doesn't bother me that much either. I'd never put one in, but I wouldn't immediately have one scraped off either. It is useful in older homes with screwed up ceilings though. If your drywall contractor sucks, you can hide many sins with that stuff.

I stripped all of ours in our old house, and retextured, primed, painted (and a bunch of other stuff). Then we sold the house shortly afterward.
New place: all popcorn that is destined to meet its end; stripped, retex'd, prime, paint,….

I'm not a fan of it.

The home I grew up in had it in the living room. I guess we had the high end stuff, ours had gold sparkles! :thmbsp:

Popcorn ceilings only benefit the blow & go contractor that did them. Almost impossible to repair without seeing exactly what was underneath. Then when they get painted they look like a gloppy mess. The only thing worse is the crappy drywall job that lies underneath them. I wet scraped mine in '94 and learned how to skim coat in the process. Then I sprayed a light knock-down texture with a hopper. 2300 SF of fun, fun, fun.

My house, built in 1984, has them. When we moved in 10 years ago I put on a fresh coat of ceiling paint using a roller. It wasn't difficult and the paint left them looking a little smoother. I find them to be much deader acoustically speaking than sheet rock. I like them.

I started with Glidden ceiling paint and didn't like the look. It was almost silvery. Switched to Behr, that stuff is really white and still looks great 10 years on.

I never miss an opportunity to scrape off the popcorn! "not a fan?" Not remotely! Yes the room is more lively afterwards; i can live with that. When they are new and perfect they don't look bad. Once damaged, you have to spray to the walls to make it all even again. In some areas that is half the house! Or more. Scrape, patch, paint. Make a hickey? Patch and paint, done.
My 2.5 cents,
billw

I never miss an opportunity to scrape off the popcorn! "not a fan?" Not remotely! Yes the room is more lively afterwards; i can live with that. When they are new and perfect they don't look bad. Once damaged, you have to spray to the walls to make it all even again. In some areas that is half the house! Or more. Scrape, patch, paint. Make a hickey? Patch and paint, done.
My 2.5 cents,
billw

How does one damage them? Their on the ceiling.

Quite honestly I don't care either way however if I were building new I wouldn't go with it. Reason behind that is I like to have roof mounted wireless networking gear and it's a pain in the ass to mount onto popcorn ceilings.

Back
Top Bottom