Mcintosh and PSB

markjrho

Good morning, I just saw an ad for a nice lookng pair of PSB Stratus Gold i speakers for a very good price. It has me wondering what the match would be like with a Mc amp, say like the mc7150 which I'm in the process of getting.

The Stratus Gold i, if I recall, is a 4 ohm speaker and requires a good amount of juice to get them going. I've listened to them on several occasions years ago when they were still being produced, and each time they never disappointed. Unfortunately, I don't remember the amps.

Any thoughts?

I have an MA6600 paired with PSB Imagine T2s and I love it. Great big sound, crisp, great midrange and surprisingly full bass. I think the virtues of both are furthered by the pairing...

I use a C2300/MC252 to feed PSB Synchrony 2 towers, a great match IMO. I've read that the PSBs can be bright due to their tweeters, but the warmth of the Mc sound seems to mellow that out. I was always surprised PSB didn't get as much love as other brands, great products for the price.

Thanks for the responses. Good to know that the Mac will work with the stratus gold. Its a great speaker.

As of this afternoon I can attest that PSB Synchrony 2 towers sound fantastic with C2200/MC275. It sounds much better than at the dealer showroom with speakers at least twice the price.

I've never had a tube power amp before and was worried it will not have enough oomph, not tight enough bass etc. It was unwarranted, the bass is plentiful, snappy and extended, the sound smooth, yet dynamic, the soundstage is almost half-circular. The MC275 is brand new, unbroken in, but I can't imagine how the sound could get any better.

But, with the built-in phono stage in the C2200 I have +2.0 trim and the volume at 45 to get about 82dB at the listening position 9ft from the speakers. The meters peak at -10dB or so. That's about 8 volume points more than with the old Rotel SS amp and more than I usually see McIntosh preamps set to in various pictures.

Does that seem normal? What volume is your McIntosh preamp usually set to?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom