Marantz 2330B Tune-Up Advice

malden

Addicted Member
I bought this receiver new in 1980 and used it daily until 1996 when I caught the tube bug. A few years ago, I decided to put it back into action and have been enjoying it ever since.

It has some problems though,

1) the selector switch and volume control cause the sound to cut in and out
2) some dial lamps are out
3) there is a faint electronics odor that emanates from it when it is powered up.

Besides cleaning the pots and changing the dial lamps, is there anything that should be done to it to make sure it is running properly? I plan on taking it to a qualified technician but would like to make sure he checks everything that needs checking.

If the tech is an AKer, he/she will know what to do! As far as the electronics smell... enjoy!!

I have one also, that I bought at an auction. Awesome, gorgeous receiver. I had to clean all the pots and switches with Deoxit brand cleaner, replace some fuse lamps, check bias and DC offset, and blow out some dust. That was it, really. It's set to spec and sounds great. Enjoy it! That smell could be dust inside heating up with the transformer and transistors. You can blow it off or wipe it off. I wouldn't really worry about it, unless it smells like smoke!

I have one also, that I bought at an auction. Awesome, gorgeous receiver. I had to clean all the pots and switches with Deoxit brand cleaner, replace some fuse lamps, check bias and DC offset, and blow out some dust. That was it, really. It's set to spec and sounds great. Enjoy it! That smell could be dust inside heating up with the transformer and transistors. You can blow it off or wipe it off. I wouldn't really worry about it, unless it smells like smoke!

I have 2 cans of contact cleaner in my workshop,

CRC Industrial QD Contact Cleaner

and

RECTORSEAL Contact Cleaner (non-cfc formula)

Are either of these just as good as Deoxit?

Deoxit is ordered. I bought the other 2 because that's what I could find locally. What are they best used for?

Ah sorry, didn't see the post. General purpose cleaning of boards although it could be used to clean crud out of pots it just leaves them dry.

got it, Deoxit also lubricates. Since it's more expensive, I'll start with the cheaper CRC and finish off with Deoxit.

Back
Top Bottom