Pioneer SX-550 or Tandberg TR-2060

michael4186

Found one of each of these units locally for $50 each and I need help deciding between the two. From what I can tell, the price is a steal for either.

This is going to be my first receiver and I want it to be right for me and something I can build from. I'm starting from scratch here.

I know the SX-550 is pretty ubiquitous so parts are easy to find, but it seems like there are some reliability problems with it. It also has a classic look, an extra AUX input, and what is probably a nicer feel with a weighted tuning knob.

The TR-2060 is pretty mysterious but the little I did find on it is pretty glowing. It's got a bit more of a modern style and uses DIN connectors and also doesnt have an additional AUX input, though I suppose I could use one of the Tape inputs.

The Tandberg has all of 60wpc where the Pioneer only has 20 but do I need any more to fill a living room or small apartment with loud rock n roll? My friend is using a backup Yamaha CR-420 with 22w and it fills his apartment without a problem.

I know the Tandberg is a more serious unit and is likely the higher quality one, but is it the right one?

Looks like your going to have to choose the receiver with the type of features that you actually want? But if it were my choice, I'd take the Tandberg receiver, hands down. :smoke: (well, that is if it is in top working order :scratch2:) I own a Tandberg TR-2025 and it's a beaut! :yes:

Yeah, no question even setting my built-in bias for Tandberg aside. The TR 2060 is a real sweet receiver, will give you better FM performance and I think the sonics are superior too. Plus, how can you not love that rosewood cabinet?

Don't be fooled by the difference in weight either; aluminum chassis and a more efficient transfomer vs. what Pioneer used. It's got plenty of power.

John

Myself, I did have a SX750 and a Tandberg 2045 (which is basically almost the same as 2060 exept for the power) 2 years ago both at the same time, as repair projects.
In europe, the Tandbergs are well regarded, I sold the SX750 for half the price of the Tandberg and those models are more comparable...

I am biased also, still having a TR2075 as my main device in the living room for over 30 years...

I think both Tandberg and Pioneer were built about the very same years.

As a technician, I also prefer the Tandberg.

(btw, if the SX550 is in very good condition and money would be no problem, just buy both ;-)

Last edited:
(btw, if the SX550 is in very good condition and money would be no problem, just buy both ;-)

+1 :thmbsp: on this! I originally thought the same thing. At $50 bucks each, heck that's a steal of a deal. I'd go for it. You have the best of both here, win win either way. Buy both check each one out, see how it fits your style and once you make your choice you can always sell the other?

Lol! If you decide on the Pioneer, then hook me up and I'll take the Tandberg at that price! :D

Last edited:
Well - I'd opine that the Tandberg is superior in every respect (including sonically)... but conversely the Tandbergs do have a reputation of being somewhat prone to component failure. The SX-x50 line of Pioneers was generally pretty bulletproof, even at this late date.

All in all, I'd much rather have the Tandberg... but I am not the OP, so my opinion isn't really worth very much :p

I appreciate all of the input. I think the Tandberg is going to be the way to go. It's a higher quality unit and its so very different. The power output will allow me to grow my system down the road as well.

Plus, the 70's Scandinavian styling will go well with my 70's steelcase desk and other danish modern furniture.

I should be going to audition it and likely pick it up this evening. I'll report back.

The 2060 doesn't have any known weak points in terms of component failures. In fact, none of the 2000-series receivers really have any flaws that way, not design-driven anyway. Once you get past Frako caps - which in all fairness have outlasted many crappier caps sold in 1978 plus a lot of 2060's don't have them anyway - they are delightful, stable pieces.

Didn't the 550 have the rotary power switch issue, or is that only on the 450 and 650?

John

Back
Top Bottom