My new (secondhand) Harbeth C7ES-3

macken

Just got some new speakers, well secondhand, Harbeth C7ES-3 on a great deal.

Have been rocking the Usher S-520 II for nearly two years and I can now say that I will not put the Ushers back into my system.

I had the Harbeth P3ESR on homedemo but they did not take the Ushers place.

The C7ES-3 is a whole other story. I guess size sometimes make a difference.

But are they great value? If buying new I think they are way too expensive, but a great pair secondhand at reasonable cost will offer heavenly tones that few can match.

Attachments

• DSC_0947.jpg
    DSC_0947.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 290
Hi Macken
Welcome to AK and congratulations on your Harbeths!
Three years in and my Rosewood P3ESRs still amaze.
What gear are you using with the C7s?
Many happy listening hours ahead.
Jimmy

PS ........cars are 'secondhand'. Your Harbeths are 'previously owned' (Mine too!)
Again
Happy listening!

Last edited:
I'm driving them with the shoebox Rega Brio R and a Rega DAC takes care of the digital side. Currently spinning vinyl on a Debut carbon, but am hunting for a good used Linn LP12.

Not my ears anyway. I could not justify the price difference between them and the Ushers.

Don't know what you paid for the Compact7s,but prices are easily twice what the
P3ESRs go for. What were the shortcomings with the P3s?

PS One more time....Cars are 'used'. Linn Lp12s are 'previously owned' (mine too!).
Just breaking your shoes!
Jimmy

Don't know what you paid for the Compact7s,but prices are easily twice what the
P3ESRs go for. What were the shortcomings with the P3s?

PS One more time....Cars are 'used'. Linn Lp12s are 'previously owned' (mine too!).
Just breaking your shoes!
Jimmy

Well to me the shortcomings for the P3 was that I could not hear that much difference between the sound between them and the Ushers. My girlfriend was of the same opinion.

With the Compact 7s the difference was huge. But much of that is probably due to the bigger size.

For the 'previously owned' Compact 7s I paid about 600 euros (around 750 US) less than what a new pair of P3s goes for. So I think I got a pretty good deal.

Well to me the shortcomings for the P3 was that I could not hear that much difference between the sound between them and the Ushers. My girlfriend was of the same opinion.

Haven't heard the P3 but I'm surprised that the S520 sounded similar to those English speakers.

Yeah, I'd say you got an outstanding deal.
Doing the math backwards, I say you got a genuine 'SCROE'
We should all be as lucky.
Happy listening!
Jimmy

Very nice indeed! Enjoy them, they are some long term speakers for sure, or certainly can be....

Really nice system there. Can the little Rega make those Harbeths sing loudly? Not concert level, but unstrained for a little louder than normal?

Really nice system there. Can the little Rega make those Harbeths sing loudly? Not concert level, but unstrained for a little louder than normal?

The Rega is only little on the outside... It can and does make the Harbeths sing even at louder levels.

It's easy to fall into that "they would sound better with this or that amp" but that ain't gonna happen here anyway. The small Rega Brio R will never leave my system. And if it breaks I will buy another one. Yes, they are that good.

For the "little louder than normal" all I can say is that the system is in a dining room/listening room and the kitchen is in the other side of the house and the music has never sounded this good there before.

Thanks macken; that "little" Rega has steadily been climbing my list of GOTTA TRY THIS components. Seems there is not much it will not do, and do well.
Enjoy.

Updated the system

So, I completed my dream system. Got a Linn Lp12 before christmas and have rewired the arm and changed the motor, mat and springs and a whole lot of screws, nuts and washers.

And it plays great. Way better than I expected. It may be worthy of better cartridge than the Nagaoka MP-110... will start with a needle upgrade to the MP-200.

But even with a Rega arm this Lp12 sound friggin amazing. The Linn LP12 may have been a very hyped player, but after living with this for one week I think it has all the reasons to be that. They sure have something of that special something.

DSC_0969.JPG

So, I completed my dream system. Got a Linn Lp12 before christmas and have rewired the arm and changed the motor, mat and springs and a whole lot of screws, nuts and washers.

And it plays great. Way better than I expected. It may be worthy of better cartridge than the Nagaoka MP-110... will start with a needle upgrade to the MP-200.

But even with a Rega arm this Lp12 sound friggin amazing. The Linn LP12 may have been a very hyped player, but after living with this for one week I think it has all the reasons to be that. They sure have something of that special something.

DSC_0969.JPG

Beautiful system!

Back
Top Bottom