Best SACD players of 2014

I just got in a Oppo BDP-105-D. I will be doing a shootout this weekend I hope, between it and my older Marantz DV-6001

Excellent. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I believe that the SONY BDP-S6200 DVD player might well be the cheapest SACD player although not sure if it converts to PCM and also not sure why it's important. I have used one of it's SONY predecessors (BDP-S5100) and am happy with it.

1st report on the Oppo BDP 105D. After setup. set player to play 2 track SACD and output DSD. Then I played Bob Dylan "Another Side of ..." the 2003 version. Wider and deeper sound stage almost like Bob was in the room between the speakers. Also played Deep Purple Gold Red Book cd and "Time OUT" Davd Brubeck Analogue Productions SACD. I am very happy with sound much better then the Marantz DV-6001

I'm extremely happy with my Sony XA5400 ES SACD Player in the Main rig. The Marantz SA8003 in my vintage rig is no slouch, and is warmer sounding than the Sony but lacks the soundstage and detail of the Sony. IMHO. Plus the Sony offers Balanced output to my ARC LS16 MkII Preamp.
Regards,
Jim

I'm running a Sony NS9100ES and it sounds fine but what I really want is a Modwright XA-5400ES Ultimate Truth Mod. At close to $4K I don't see it happening soon but I see them come up used once in a while. I have heard the Sony/Modwright S9000 on numerous occasions and feel like it's a top performer.

Final report BDP 105D sounds much better then the Marantz DV-6001 in playing CD & SACD. The Marantz will now be moved to another system Still need to check out the video part more fully, I only have one disc to play, CSN&Y Live in 1974 DVD not much to look at but it sounds great.

My vote goes to Marantz UD7007, I tried Oppo BDP105 earlier this year in comparison, Marantz sounded better in my 2 channel playing CD,SACD,DVD-A.

"Marantz UD7007 does DSD. The graph has a little notation saying that if the receiver Marantz is connected to can't handle DSD, it converts to PCM."

Last edited:
I'm extremely happy with my Sony XA5400 ES SACD Player in the Main rig. The Marantz SA8003 in my vintage rig is no slouch, and is warmer sounding than the Sony but lacks the soundstage and detail of the Sony. IMHO. Plus the Sony offers Balanced output to my ARC LS16 MkII Preamp.
Regards,
Jim

I also have the Sony XA5400ES running balanced into my Krell S-300i and agree with your description. The Sony does have great soundstage and detail. I have a Marantz SA 8001 which I also find to be warmer. One day the warmth became too much and the Sony was ordered.

Final report BDP 105D sounds much better then the Marantz DV-6001 in playing CD & SACD. The Marantz will now be moved to another system Still need to check out the video part more fully, I only have one disc to play, CSN&Y Live in 1974 DVD not much to look at but it sounds great.

If you can get your hands on the Blu-Ray of The Avengers, do so - forget that it's a Marvel title and just drink in the incredible visuals. I also have the Gravity Blu-Ray - some great 'space scenery' and SFX but nothing to compare to the incredible action in The Avengers - five stars. :thmbsp:

http://www.amazon.com/Marvels-Avengers-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Packaging/dp/B0083SBJXS

Darbee is impressive technology, even with older DVDs, but it helps if you start with the best possible source material and that Avengers BD is the best example of Blu-Ray I've ever seen. There are points in the movie, even on my modest TV screen, where the actors could easily be in the room with you - phenomenal.

I will get some Blu-rays one day, for now I just mostly play my SACD's. Here is a picture of my silver 105-D and my SP-9 MK-2 and my "Paoli" Modded Dynaco Mk-3's

Attachments

• DSCN2163.jpg
    DSCN2163.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN2165.jpg
    DSCN2165.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 114
Those babies have some cans! I mean, uh, er never mind...

You do not see many Paoli modded MK-3's these have been modded out even more with the early Triode board, so they now are much different then the factory or other Paoli type mods. These were made by the late Harry Gates of Goldsboro NC

Marantz SA8005...excellent CD and SACD playback!

mz_sa8005_u_n_k_bk_ot_bg002_lo.jpg

I've owned a couple of Marantz universal players and wasn't that impressed.

The SA8005 just keeps getting better.

Another Marantz SA8005 owner (since last February). The dynamics are palpable and visceral. The music has extreme clarity, realism and excitement. I have yet to hear a harsh or unpleasant note coming from this box through my speakers. I have not been able to say that about other decks, some of which are well regarded.
Bottom line- completely satisfied on all audiophile levels and just love what it does for the sound of my system.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Marantz SA8005 and the OPPO BDP-105D?

Back
Top Bottom