Phonomena II Phono Preamp vs. IFI - MICRO iPHONO

On the low end, my Denon AU-300LC (~$230) narrowly beats the MC stages I've heard - sounding similar tonally, but a little livelier.

On the high end (for me at least) is my Bob's Devices Cinemag 1131, which is an end-game piece - a keeper.

I like the idea of having two ratios, for compatibility with a wider range of cartridges. Basically, you would be adding the SUT to your MM stage, which is what the EAR 843 has inside for MC...

As for other SUT recommendations, I'd trust Art Dudley in Stereophile - he seems quite perceptive on these.

:music:

I agree with all of the above.
I have an Ortofon Verto SUT which uses Lundahl transformers and it is everything that I could ever want. I can change between 1:16 and 1:30 via supplied jumpers. A good friend of mine has a Kondo Audio Note SUT and my Verto doesn't give up much to it. Given the price difference I am quite happy.

Al. Wise

Last edited:
Why not just get a step up transformer and run the TT into it and then run the SUT into your SP16?
The phono stage on the SP16 is wonderful and with an SUT you can add that wonderful to LOMC cartridges as well.
I've had that exact set up and liked it very much.

Al. Wise

I like the idea of a step up transformer. My only concern is the phono section on my ARC SP16 has a high gain. Here is what the manual says,

"The SP16 optional phono stage (offering a total of 54dB
combined phono and line stage gain) is intended to work
with moving magnet and higher output moving coil
cartridges ranging between 1mV and 5mV output.
Depending on the efficiency of your speakers and
sensitivity of the power amplifier(s), a cartridge with
slightly lower than 1mV output may provide suitable gain
through the SP16 in your system."

Does the SUT adjust to the high gain ?

I like the idea of a step up transformer. My only concern is the phono section on my ARC SP16 has a high gain. Here is what the manual says,

"The SP16 optional phono stage (offering a total of 54dB
combined phono and line stage gain) is intended to work
with moving magnet and higher output moving coil
cartridges ranging between 1mV and 5mV output.
Depending on the efficiency of your speakers and
sensitivity of the power amplifier(s), a cartridge with
slightly lower than 1mV output may provide suitable gain
through the SP16 in your system."

Does the SUT adjust to the high gain ?

I used my SUT with my SP16.
Mine has the choice of either a 1:16 or 1:30 step up.
Look for one similar, or one with a fixed step up of 1:10 to 1:20 or so.

Al. Wise

Back
Top Bottom