Amazing $50 3 Tube Preamp

Thank you for the suggestions! When i get in to work this morning i will move it to a shelf above the amplifier and turntable. I will update on the result.

Update - still major hum. I moved the little preamp to a shelf ~2 feet above the amp/turntable. No change with position of preamp.
I did attach the ground wire from the transformer to the preamp as indicated. I am pretty sure it is wired correctly.

I've been wondering about the significance of the iPod working hum-free in contrast to the turntables. I switch the input from iPod to turntable on the preamp and switch the input on the amp from AUX to mag phono, and the hum returns with a vengeance (that said, the album sounds good when the hum is overcome). Is this an expected outcome - with the digital source not triggering the hum problem? The amp works silently (as far as background noise) and quite well with the iPod source. I just don't know enough about this stuff to decipher this pattern. I would think that if the preamp were truly defective it should fail with the iPod too??

Is the Miracord hooked direct to the tube preamp (post says turntable, preamp, amp only)?

I thought you would need a turntable preamp connected between the TTs and the Chinese preamp?

Last edited:
That could be it! I am hooking the turntable directly to the Chinese preamp, under the assumption (potentially wrong assumption) that it will serve as a turntable preamp. Worst case scenario - it looks great, and I will be happy to use it with my iPod.
Thanks.

New arrival: Little Bear BK 6J1x2

I just hooked up my Little Bear BK 6J1x2.

This is the 2 tube version.

I got it off auction (rather than outright purchase) for under $25.00 with shipping.

I went with this pre-amp because I was skeptical of paying $125.00 for the three tube pre-amp. (Now, I am still skeptical because in my initial listening, the two tube version sounds so good:banana:

I THINK I am hearing more detail from this pre-amp than I got from my NAD 1600.

I am using this with an ADCOM 5300 into some ADS 990 and Genesis 1+ speakers.

I don't think one could do much better than this one for under $25.00.

This pre-amp makes me even more excited about the 3116 amplifier board I have on order that is currently in transit from China.:yes:

my 3 tube pre still chugging along and sounding quite nice, works well with my 7498 Sure chipboard. I have a 3116 (the cheap one) but I am so happy with the 7498/3 tubes synergy I may leave it alone! which of course means I need another 3 tube pre. :(
plus I have some speaker projects I need to play with!

kinda thinking about a box with an open back? not to wild about the piano hinge baffle.
any suggestions?
something modular so I can change out the speakers if I become an addict!

kinda thinking about a box with an open back? not to wild about the piano hinge baffle.
any suggestions?
something modular so I can change out the speakers if I become an addict!

Do a flat baffle with the Betsy over an Eminence Alpha 15 ( see the quarterwave site )

The 6n3 3 tube preamp and TPA 3116 make a great marriage.

Poultrygeist, I use the 6n3 3 tube preamp with the blue TPA3116 set to 20db gain and I still find that with some recordings it's too much gain. Have you experienced this problem with your efficient speakers? Mine are 95db.

I was looking for these on eBay and other places. Anyone have a current link so I can see the listing?

Back
Top Bottom