Anyone tried a Schiit Sys?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Schiit has introduced a new little passive pre-amp for only $50. Nice deal for a nice looking piece of gear. Curious if anyone has tried it. I'm just looking to use it as a volume control between a CD player and a pair of active speakers. Just don't want it to bugger up the signal any. And no, I am not looking to build a passive pre-amp myself.

Anyone tried it? Any comments good or bad?

sys_main.jpg

I have one. I was curious about the whole passive thing. It's the real deal. For 50 bucks I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I still have it, but moved on to a Luminous Audio Axiom ll. I needed more inputs and outputs. I'll find another place to use the SYS. I know there's a lot of talk about passives and how they have no life,etc. They seem to work in my system.

I tried to get a hold of Schiit about 3-4 times different ways. Not once did they contact me. I really wanted to buy it and try it out, but Ill be damned if their getting my business now,

Just my experience, looks solid for a passive I thought too :(

also available thru amazon, although at a slightly higher price ($59).

I got mine from Amazon. It is a little pricier but that's about how much it would cost from Schiit once you pay for shipping. So if you're a prime member, then there's really no price difference plus you get two day shipping.

Anyway. I really like mine. I use it with a Maggie 8804 and a Squidward built el-84 based SEUL amp. It's nice for when I just want to hear the sound signature of only the amps themselves. No preamp. I was worried about impedance matching issues but I'm really enjoying what I hear from either combo so I guess that's all that matters.

you might also consider the 'Control Freak' from Emotiva:

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak
I use these also. I have 2 in my main rig (1 for mains and 1 for subs) and 1 in my secondary rig. No preamps in either rig. I like them a lot.

I've considered getting a Schiit Sys, but currently the Control Freaks are doing the job quite nicely. I have multiple digital sources, but just plug them into a DAC.

Last edited:
Fair enough. FWIW, the Amazon seller is still Schiit Audio but Amazon is fulfilling the order. I just really like the 2 day delivery. Since I'm in grad school, I get prime for half off.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Schiit passive, but I used the original Luminous Audio Axiom passive with the Caddack resistor upgrade with a tube power amp and cdp. It was one of the most amazing sounding systems I've had. It is hard to describe what an average active preamp does to muck up the sound.

When I put the SYS in my system I heard instruments like they were intended to be heard. I found it hard to believe so I put my tube preamp back in the mix and sure enough the SYS sounded better to my ears. All that being said - looking back if you just have one source I would go with the Axiom from Luminous Audio.

The Axiom is most likely a better sounding device because the audio signal DOES NOT flow through the volume control like on the Sys. On the Axiom the pot only adjusts the signal being shunt grounded thereby adjusting the volume. I'm glad Luminous has finally decided to come out with a multiple input passive preamp.

Thanks. Will check them out.

They were M-Audio's attempt to break into the higher end of the powered monitor business. And they completely died in the marketplace. Originally, they were listed at just under $1000 for the pair, but soon were discontinued and cleared out at $300-400. A steal at that price.

Well, I'll be trying one. My order just went in today. Should be here in a week or so. I'll let yuns know what I hear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if your review is positive I may even shrug of blowing me off totally multiple times and still buy one, quite interested to compare it to my DIY passive as well... :scratch2:

That's weird. When I contacted them, they got back to me the next morning.

I'll definitely let you know what happens.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

And it's on its way. Very impressive customer service so far.

And it's on its way. Very impressive customer service so far.

I purchased two headphone amps from Schiit earlier this year, the Lyr2 and the Valhalla2.
Great customer service and qucik shipment.
The little tube amps are very well built and after a little tube rolling they both sound very good.

Al. Wise

Back
Top Bottom