SAE-The "new" vintage?

TimF

I saw an add in Stereophile magazine a couple months back about the rebirth of SAE. I tried to access their web page with no luck, but kept it in the back of my mind. I was curious as to just what the new SAE would potentially have to offer, as I haven't really heard about who the main players in the rebirth is.

Just received my November issue of Sterophile, and as I casually paged through it, saw another add for SAE with a couple of pictures of amplifiers....and some whopping projected pricetags. Jaw drops slightly. Something like 12K and 15K if I recall correctly(don't have the mag in front of me at the moment).

It is interesting to see the new-old companies lately coming back to life, also interesting to see what products and price-points they bring. While I had no expectations of what the new SAE would be, I guess I wasn't expecting them to be playing in much bigger leagues, but that appears to be where the money is these days.

Will continue to watch as Technics, SAE and others bring new gear to market. While some of it may be way out of my league, it is still fun to read about, look at the glossies and maybe even dream a bit.

Well, SAE stuff was expensive on its first go-around. Allowing for inflation and the size of the modern market, $10 to 15k prices sounds about right.

What was college tuition in 1979 vs. today at a snooty private college? ;-)

SAE never really disappeared. The brand name did, but the people behind the company, especially Morris Kessler now market ATI amplifiers. ATI sells their products in Europe under the SAE brand name, but the products are identical to ATI models sold here. But anything is possible. I'd love to see the classic Mark series of products re-launched into the market with all of the modern technologies applied. The were absolutely gorgeous.

Well, SAE stuff was expensive on its first go-around. Allowing for inflation and the size of the modern market, $10 to 15k prices sounds about right.

What was college tuition in 1979 vs. today at a snooty private college? ;-)

It's amazing how many here dont take inflation into account when talking about a component that cost 2K USD in the late 70s - I've seen similar comparisons in McIntosh threads. Seeing the pricetags on fully-loaded 60s musclecars always made me envious of those who were in a position to buy one but for the average working man, 3-4 thousand dollars wouldnt have been a trivial smount of money in 1968.

I attended CEDIA, the big custom electronics and installations dealer show recently and took pictures of this thing....the NEW SAE power amp.

Very shiny, chrome....with blue SAE lights. 300wpc and just a little under $15,000.

Very awesome...and did I mention "shiny":D

Last edited:
That power amp is indeed quite shiny, and quite large!

As regards to pricing etc., it really didn't matter to me, I was just more interested in the return of the brand and was more curious about who was behind the scenes. It is all interesting to some degree.

Thanks for the information on Morris and ATI as well.

Very cool. I wish them the best of luck for sure. If those prices are even close I'll have to endure my old 2600 and 2400.

Back
Top Bottom