Phonomena II Phono Preamp vs. IFI - MICRO iPHONO

MWalt

I have been scoping on new phono preamps and have my eye on these two. Although I like the phono section in my ARC SP16 preamp, it is designed for HOMC carts. I want more flexibility. The only other phono preamp I have is an Emotiva XPS-1, which isn't too bad, but I want better. What do you think?

zzzzPhenomII_zps864cdc3d.jpg

AIFIIPHONO_zps6f5827d9.jpg

I think both get good reviews with the PII on the higher end of reviews, I don't think I have ever heard a bad public review of the PII.

What I like about the PII is it is a dual-mono design so makes the stereo imaging really sweet, hard to find that in sub $1000 phono stage.

Wish I knew more about the ifi...looks interesting.

I think the phono stage is a critical component of good vinyl sound. I am going to key on adjustability.

What I have found is that all stand alone stages don't fit well in all systems, the only way you can really tell is using and comparing within your system. Maybe buy used and try a few interesting units like the Phonomena II Phono Preamp.

I sold my Nova II even though it's a good stage because others worked and sounded better in my system. My favorite right now is the SOTA Head Amp, designed by John Curl I have two of them. Before I got my second SOTA I had the Nova II also but wasn't that happy with it so I bought a Coph Nia. The Nia prompted the sale of the Nova II because it was far better IMO and then I found another one. (I have three tables)

One day another SOTA came up that I could get so I did, it now stands as 2 SOTA's 1 Coph Nia.

I like the SOTA's because of their sound in my system and their versatility. Not only in adjustability in Loading and Gain but input to my system as well. Being a headlamp I can plug into my pre's Phono inputs MM or MC as well as an AUX input. Stages like the Nova & Nia you have to use an AUX input only.

Well anyway I know you can't just go out and buy a SOTA or Coph Nia as they are older units but they do come up from time to time. There is also other used units new and old that you can find and sample. The point being don't stop at one and try a few out preferably side by side. Just because others are happy with what they have without complaint doesn't mean your system and you will be.

One more thing, I feel a lot of the current stages aside from very expensive ones (Sub $800) are geared to the people that 'Need" them. Meaning pre's, AV and other units that have no Phono stage at all. Yep they all work but they are not trying to beat the the manufacturers built in stage.
Looking to stand alone stages that were built when Phono stages were common in the control unit is a plus IMO.

By reputation either of those units would be very good, with the Phenonmena II having a larger sample size for its reputation, because it's been around longer.

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but a good step-up transformer into your ARC might well beat both handily.

I really enjoy the sound of my Simaudio Moon 110LP. It has limited flexibility with a choice of 40db or 60db of gain. The cartridge can be loaded with either 100 or 47.000 ohms. The AT F7 works best at 100 ohms and the Benz MC Gold and Grado Statement Sonata works well with the 47k. Currently I am using the Ortofon OM20 with 40db of gain, 47k of loading and 100pf of capacitance.

It is quieter and has more gain with lower output cartridges than my Rotel RQ 970BX, Cambridge Audio 640P and is smoother than my Graham Slee Fanfare3.

The Phonomena II is my very first phono pre. Bought it June. The sound I get from the AT 440MLa is quite nice, although I have no others to compare.

S.J.

The Phonomena II is my very first phono pre. Bought it June. The sound I get from the AT 440MLa is quite nice, although I have no others to compare.

S.J.

Make the move to MC and you will be amazed......I was shown a new perspective to my vinyl with the OC9ML/II

By reputation either of those units would be very good, with the Phenonmena II having a larger sample size for its reputation, because it's been around longer.

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but a good step-up transformer into your ARC might well beat both handily.

My ARC preamp sounds great, but I am limited to HOMC and low output MM carts when I use it. A SUT may be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Right now I am using an LPGear modded AT95SA. Basically an AT95 with a Shibata stylus. It is surprisingly good. It got a great review from Fremer.

MWalt

You haven't set a budget yet or new or used. Kind of a wide open field at this point.

I could spend 2K, but my self imposed limit is 1k or less. I like the EAR 834, but don't want to spend the cash for a new one.

The EAR 834p is my dream, end game phono pre - maybe someday! If under $1K, I would highly recommend picking up a PS Audio GCPH - they come up semi frequently used for around $500. It is a piece I wished I could have hung on to - if I'm being honest, it may have made a bigger impact in my vinyl playback than turntables at 8 times the price :) The nice thing about it is that you can try one relatively risk free because you can probably sell it quickly for what you paid.

Good luck - and have fun! I'll be following this :D

The EAR 834p is my dream, end game phono pre - maybe someday! If under $1K, I would highly recommend picking up a PS Audio GCPH - they come up semi frequently used for around $500. It is a piece I wished I could have hung on to - if I'm being honest, it may have made a bigger impact in my vinyl playback than turntables at 8 times the price :) The nice thing about it is that you can try one relatively risk free because you can probably sell it quickly for what you paid.

Good luck - and have fun! I'll be following this :D

I really don't have a great turntable at the moment. I thought I was going to get out of the TT business and go straight digital. So, I sold my audiophile deck; a Basis 1400 with a modded RB300 arm and Dynavector cart. After it was picked up, I almost immediately had sellers remorse. That was a great sounding deck. What a mistake I made. I was looking at all that nice vinyl; great music I had collected, so I bought a minty late 80's JVC QL-F4 and a highly regarded LP Gear AT95SA so I could still listen to my records. Although I am surprised by how good this combination sounds, I am already looking into my next new turntable. I am going to start with a new phono preamp, however. That is my story.

The Lehmann Black Cube SE II got a great review from Michael Fremer and is only a few hundred over your $1,000 budget. I'm considering one...

Why not just get a step up transformer and run the TT into it and then run the SUT into your SP16?
The phono stage on the SP16 is wonderful and with an SUT you can add that wonderful to LOMC cartridges as well.
I've had that exact set up and liked it very much.

Al. Wise

Why not just get a step up transformer and run the TT into it and then run the SUT into your SP16?
The phono stage on the SP16 is wonderful and with an SUT you can add that wonderful to LOMC cartridges as well.
I've had that exact set up and liked it very much.

Al. Wise

Al, do you have any suggestions for a SUT?

I really don't have a great turntable at the moment. I thought I was going to get out of the TT business and go straight digital. So, I sold my audiophile deck; a Basis 1400 with a modded RB300 arm and Dynavector cart. After it was picked up, I almost immediately had sellers remorse. That was a great sounding deck. What a mistake I made. I was looking at all that nice vinyl; great music I had collected, so I bought a minty late 80's JVC QL-F4 and a highly regarded LP Gear AT95SA so I could still listen to my records. Although I am surprised by how good this combination sounds, I am already looking into my next new turntable. I am going to start with a new phono preamp, however. That is my story.

I did not realize you sold the Basis!! :tears: Sorry but that was a wonderful deck.
I cannot imagine parting with my TT, unless upgrading. I'm just never going all digital...

Now that I know that and your budget, I might suggest the MS Nova II....battery powered, upgraded internals, super quiet with all the bells and whistles of the PII. I was one push button away from buying this one, but I really have no dirty power issues in my house wiring or supply. I saved the $400 and bought the OC9ML/II and a few albums.

I'm very happy, I know I could sell the PII for good money when I am ready for my next upgrade.

My ARC preamp sounds great, but I am limited to HOMC and low output MM carts when I use it. A SUT may be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Right now I am using an LPGear modded AT95SA. Basically an AT95 with a Shibata stylus. It is surprisingly good. It got a great review from Fremer.

I could spend 2K, but my self imposed limit is 1k or less. I like the EAR 834, but don't want to spend the cash for a new one.

On the low end, my Denon AU-300LC (~$230) narrowly beats the MC stages I've heard - sounding similar tonally, but a little livelier.

On the high end (for me at least) is my Bob's Devices Cinemag 1131, which is an end-game piece - a keeper.

I like the idea of having two ratios, for compatibility with a wider range of cartridges. Basically, you would be adding the SUT to your MM stage, which is what the EAR 843 has inside for MC...

As for other SUT recommendations, I'd trust Art Dudley in Stereophile - he seems quite perceptive on these.

:music:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom