Pioneer SX 838

Yes, they are good. Worth getting? Depends on the price and condition. It's not 70's junk. I've had a few and have enjoyed the power it puts out (50 watts I think) which is ample for a nice home setup. I have the bigger sister SX-939 set up in my garage.

The x3x models are great receivers IMO. I had the 939 and kick myself to this day for selling it.

This receiver was my first object of audio lust as a teen, and I own one now.

Get it if it works and isn't too beat.

I love mine:yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 157
That would be a good price for a faulty unit, indeed. I paid about 70 euro's each for 2 of these last year. (close to US$200 for the two)
They came on the dutch ebay-owned thing apart from each other, were stated defective and although I found it too expensive, my vintage gear greed did win.

Be aware, people used them until they did not work anymore, then put them somewhere in storage, 20 years later take it out or find it back again and suddenly find out people paying money for this old defective junk nowadays..
During those 20 years in storage, other problems might have appeared.

Besides the sound is not very well comparing to other amps I have (so a recap might be audible) my units together had 5 issues. One of them not easy to fix (magnet was loose in the tuning meter!) and I still need to recap.
The other failures: One bad power switch (and knob from another brand) which needed a switch physically the same, two power supply boards one on each defective, and one main amp.

Fortunately, the tuner part was still good on both (it has a good tuner)

So, be aware of the risks you have with any vintage receiver...

Buying something "untested" means the seller is unable to test it because it does not work at all...

Update: It does indeed have sound, the DNR switches were dirty, I used some DeOxit to get it going. Sounds nice but no activity with the tuner section, meters do not budge, phono and aux (cd) sound great.

Both AM and FM? Your power supply might be dead for the power of the tuner.
The power board is on the bottom, as far as I remember also only accessible through the bottom.
So it just needs the bottom plate to be removed.
For a tuner repair you will need a very experienced tech, a power supply is easier and especially this one since it is reasonably accessible.
You may have a big resistor (R3, 220 ohm 5 watts) on the power supply board have the board itself burnt and maybe the transistor it feeds (Q1), and also adjacent components. It supplies 13 volts to the tuner.

At least, this was the area in both my receivers was a fault. My units are 220 Volts and nowadays mains is 230 volts, which also adds to the heat...
It is because of a bad design this happens. There is no ventilation, the circuit board is upside down, so all the heat generated spreads out in between the components.
I mounted a new bolted-type resistor agains the metal under the circuit card, it is cooled by the metal above this circuit board (this might read funny but the receiver is upside down while repairing this)
This apart from the other components needing replacement.

You easily can find a service manual pdf on the internet just g??gle "sx-838"and "pdf"

If you are a tech you can do it yourself, if not, have somebody else do it who can, because understanding and measuring the voltages if wrong, and why wrong, is essential.

$50 with no tuner function. Sure, if everything else is OK!

These Pioneers have a more LUSH sound than the SX-X50 series that followed them, that's why I'm holding on to mine. Sounds fabulous with some EPI 100Vs!

Enjoy!

cnh2

Update: It does indeed have sound, the DNR switches were dirty, I used some DeOxit to get it going. Sounds nice but no activity with the tuner section, meters do not budge, phono and aux (cd) sound great.

You've got an antenna hooked up to the FM terminals, right? Won't work without that. Also take the FM Muting off, that locks out all but the strongest stations.

Back
Top Bottom