Recent good luck at the thrifts

Ashfan

I am not one to complain about the local thrifts. Not only would that get the thread closed, but the local thrifts have been a consistent source of really good LP finds. But good equipment has been scarce as hens teeth for, really, the last couple of years. That is, until the last three weeks. During that time I have picked up an excellent Kenwood 9G receiver, a Pioneer SX-1080 that is nearly as nice cosmetically as the Kenwood (missing one switch), a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers with lightly scratched cabs top and bottom, but the speakers themselves look and sound fine, a nice Marantz 5200 cassette deck with an excellent wood cabinet, and a cool Akai GX-F60R cassette in a wood cabinet that needs a new belt. All for under $325. With the exception of the Akai, everything sounds/works great and only needed some minor cleaning and Deoxit touch up.

Attachments

• 101_0314.jpg
    101_0314.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 101_0313.jpg
    101_0313.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 183
Really nice stuff you got there, congrats. Its interesting that you say there was a dry spell for equipment at your local thrift store, it was the same for me here for about a year and a half, there was always music I could buy but no electronics and then about a month ago I picked up a bunch of nice equipment. Now it seems I am back in a dry spell. Oh well makes you appreciate a good score when it happens.

Really nice stuff you got there, congrats. Its interesting that you say there was a dry spell for equipment at your local thrift store, it was the same for me here for about a year and a half, there was always music I could buy but no electronics and then about a month ago I picked up a bunch of nice equipment. Now it seems I am back in a dry spell. Oh well makes you appreciate a good score when it happens.

It does seem to go in cycles. In 2011 I had "Yamaha August", where in the same thrift store, over the course of 3-4 weeks in August, I found a CR-1020 and a CR-600, both for $40, and a CR-620 for $30. Plus a Pioneer CT-F750 for $17. All in fine shape except the cabinet on the 600 was a little nicked. Then nothing at any thrifts for months.

Looking at some of the threads here on AK of collections that boarder on hoarding, I'm not surprised the thrifts have dried up these days. Additionally, I think a lot of people are wise to the rise in audio/hi-fi, so instead of dumping what was once unsellable audio equipment, they now hold estate sales, or use Ebay and Craigslist and whatnot

Last edited:
Same her its hit or miss at the goodwill n savers that I go to quite often, they have had some nice stuff lately one day last week savers had a full set of matching technics integrated amp, tuner, cd player, tape deck, n turn table. Would have cost me 45 dollars but I passed on it due to not able test them, n as I was walking out some one had donated. A AR turntable and a old Sony ES cd player with wood sides, tried to back door them but was told I'd have to wait for them to be priced n put out on the floor, needles to say I keep going back every day hoping to grab em then today I picked up a set of jbl j216 bookshelf speakers for 6 bucks. Not bad but I know it will dry up for awhile

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

You guys are lucky. The thrifts around here think a SparkOMatic car stereo is audiophile quality. There is a nice Zenith 60's console in one here but I need another one of those like I need another hole in my head. My one score this year, at a thrift, was a Yamaha CR-440 for $40 in great shape. Garage sales, now that's another story.

You guys are lucky. The thrifts around here think a SparkOMatic car stereo is audiophile quality.

Around here, you're lucky to find that.

The Auto-Zone museum has a couple Sparkomatic cassette decks for sale in a display case.

well... he said it in French... and he was probably dosing sheep with anthrax at the time... but, you get the picture.

;-)

Back
Top Bottom