Polk Audio Monitor 12's - Wow!!

Congrats! While I have never heard the 12's, I know many prefer the 7 and 10 for their accuracy. I've always read the 12's had rather bloated bass. And I've never heard the SL2500 tweeter either. I have owned 5/7 and 10 before and prefered the 10's. The 4/5/7/10 and 12 seem to be the most common models in the vintage Monitor series. The 9's are really rare to find and 11's pop up every now and again for sale somewhere. And the 14 and 15t I think are ghosts or someones thought or prototype at Polk that were never built.

Check this link for the vintage models...

http://www.polksda.com/list.shtml

edit: I just realized this is an OLD thread....oh well... :D

I've got 15TLs so they do exist!

I said Monitor 15t, not RTA15tl. There's a difference. Yours look like these??

images

I recently got a pair of Polk Monitor 12 series 2 speakers for $200. I now have the Polk 5's (paid $20), 7b's (bought new in the 1980's),and 12's. Just using the 12's for now. Not sure how the vintage monitors compare with the new stuff. I'm thinking of using the ones I have for surround sound in the future but only using them for stereo for now in a spare room. Any thought on stacking them ? the 3 pairs would reach to the ceiling. Should they be stacked with the ones on top upside down ? I'm running an Adcom GFA 5500 amp with an Onkyo TX-DS 696 as a tuner/preamp. Also have a Terk antenna, a Sony ES cd player, and Powervar ac line conditioner. I sometimes run a laptop cooling fan to cool the amp. Also added a Yamaha YST 215 subwoofer. It's a small room.

I recently got a pair of Polk Monitor 12 series 2 speakers for $200. I now have the Polk 5's (paid $20), 7b's (bought new in the 1980's),and 12's. Just using the 12's for now. Not sure how the vintage monitors compare with the new stuff. I'm thinking of using the ones I have for surround sound in the future but only using them for stereo for now in a spare room. Any thought on stacking them ? the 3 pairs would reach to the ceiling. Should they be stacked with the ones on top upside down ? I'm running an Adcom GFA 5500 amp with an Onkyo TX-DS 696 as a tuner/preamp. Also have a Terk antenna, a Sony ES cd player, and Powervar ac line conditioner. I sometimes run a laptop cooling fan to cool the amp. Also added a Yamaha YST 215 subwoofer. It's a small room.

I used my Monitor 12 for HT duty only. In my 2 channel systems I felt they were too boomy. They were pretty decent for HT use with Monitor 10 in the rear and a Monitor 4 center. I'm not a fan of stacking so I never tried it with the Monitors.

cubdog

If you have a high current power amp the monitor 10s should deliver more then adequate bass extension. I found my monitor 10s to have very impressive and very clean low end extension. They actually surprised me by how low they go for what they are and need no subwoofer for them unless you require extra higher output levels from 25hz downwards.

OMG that is what you would call a Wall of Sound. I think the Grateful Dead done that in one of their early concerts back in the day. I believe they tour with that sound stage.If my memory serves me right it was a McIntosh speakers. :thmbsp:

Stacked but only for storage. SDA1B,SDA2. Monitor 12 with RDO tweeters ( yeah blew one of the originals) Monitor 10 with peerless and then monitor 7b or c cant remember .

Just put the 12 in rotation. I am liking them a lot , Thinking I will recap might be cheap enough :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17611327@N04/10320514156/in/set-72157636029967004/lightbox/

Boomy bass is usually most likely cause of room modes, not the speakers.

If the bass is still boomy in well treated room then the speaker itself has elevated midbass response itself but I don't think the 6.5" drivers in the 12's any different than the monitor 10s so....

Polk Audio Monitor 12

Old thread but how can I not post pic of my pair when I have a chance... ;)
They sounded good but need bigger room otherwise sound crowdy.

attachment.php

Mystery, That's quite a lineup of speakers you have. Care to give us a rundown? Im familiar/interested in the Vandys, the BA's, NS-690, and the JBLs. Ive had the 100T3 and desperately wished they had Lpads. Too bright for me but otherwise, quite powerful.

My son has these and they will never leave his hands. (His finding of these is what began his slippery slope along side Pops!)

Mystery, That's quite a lineup of speakers you have. Care to give us a rundown? Im familiar/interested in the Vandys, the BA's, NS-690, and the JBLs. Ive had the 100T3 and desperately wished they had Lpads. Too bright for me but otherwise, quite powerful.

I haven't done A/B comparison for most of them but here is from my memory.
Boston A400's were my most favorite speakers until I got Vandersteen 3A's.
Need to compare them side by side sometimes later.

Yamaha NS-690 are great for vocals and jazz/sax/flute instruments.

JBL L100t/L80t3 are good for rock and I like the mid and lows on them but that titanium tweeter is bright at loud volumes. Great speakers though.

SVA's are great but need a lot of power and they are smoother than the L80t3's with more pounding on the low end.
KLF's are great for low/normal listening and bright at higher volumes.
Heresy's have great details at low level listening.
Epicure 20+ are better than most sealed speakers I had.

Back
Top Bottom