Boston Acoustic A70 vs. C/V hed u-123

Luvjazz

I am a new here and I have a question. A good friend gave me a pair of Cerwin Vega hed u-123's after I fried 1 of the woofers in my Snell E-III's. any way the foam was gone on the C/V's I replaced the foam. They sound pretty good. I now may have a chance to get a pair of B/A A70's for cheap $. How will these compare I listen to a lot of Jazz some Rock some Blues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to save to fix my beloved Snell's.

I am a new here and I have a question. A good friend gave me a pair of Cerwin Vega hed u-123's after I fried 1 of the woofers in my Snell E-III's. any way the foam was gone on the C/V's I replaced the foam. They sound pretty good. I now may have a chance to get a pair of B/A A70's for cheap $. How will these compare I listen to a lot of Jazz some Rock some Blues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to save to fix my beloved Snell's.

Boston Acoustics A series excel at Jazz but are good at everything IMO. I think you will love them, I have a pair of A70s and I love their sound. Never heard the CVs but I would take the A70s over them all day. Just elevate the tweeter to ear level and enjoy.

Go for the A70's. Well-rounded speaker. I have oil caps in mine, so I can't say much for that specific genre.

You can't go wrong with A70's. I really like mine and would hate to part with them. Not the prettiest speakers to look at bu that is not the purpose.

A-70's are great. Very forgiving speakers that will make most gear sound good. I like that they perform well even when up against a wall.

If you like them against the wall, try moving them out a couple of feet and leaning them back right on the wall. It does nothing for the bottom octave but brings up the bass a hair, AND lets them handle a wee bit more power. I shit you not, I think the woofers are powerful enough that the mass of the cone makes the whole cabinet move to and fro on heavy bass which allows it to bottom out just a bit more easily. Giving it a solid surface seemed to let you get a couple more dB before bottoming. Yes, I pushed them and now all the drivers have been changed. Believe it or not, because I had a company from which to order I got all four drivers for about fifty bucks ! I couldn't believee it, but when the package came the proof was in there. If I knew then whay I know now I would have bought a hundred of those (series three) tweeters, and a few mmore woofers as well.

Anyway, the A-70s are kinda hard to beat. I got rid of mine when I got the A-150s.

Thank you all for your advice most likely going to pull the trigger on these. Let me ask. Is there any way to know if the woof's and tweet's are the real deal? Not some cheapo replacement. Thank you all.

They are both stamped Boston on the back, and least they were on mine, Series II which were a lot better than the first ones.

Listening to some Beck on a pair of A70's Series II I bought back in '87, that sit on Chicago speaker stands.

Paired with a my also purchased Proton D540 Integrated Amp.

Sweet speakers with jazz, blues and rock....Live at Leeds sounds spectacular on these speakers. Just refoamed them with some Filited Foams from John McPeak.
Not for hard rock at super loud playback volume levels.

A very well-balanced and non fatiguing speaker. And that was their intention when BA designed them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom