Klh 24 Crossover

archie2

Addicted Member
I don't understand the cap hook up on my KLH 24 series II speakers. there is a single cap with 2 values on it, 8 uF and 16 uF. Any suggestions what I replace this with?

Attachments

• KLH 24 CROSSOVER.jpg
    KLH 24 CROSSOVER.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 195
  • KLH 24 CROSSOVER 1.jpg
    KLH 24 CROSSOVER 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 198
I don't understand the cap hook up on my KLH 24 series II speakers. there is a single cap with 2 values on it, 8 uF and 16 uF. Any suggestions what I replace this with?

Two separate caps.

Odd Capacitor

I recently picked up a pair of the KLH 24's myself. I looked at the capacitor with three leads and went WTF? It was a bit unusual to see a cap with 2 taps for different values. That was an interesting way of only having to put in 1 cap into the cabinet instead of 2. I guess it's back to parts express to buy another pair of caps.

Attachments

• PICT0075.jpg
    PICT0075.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 117
I've got the 22's. Same dual cap set up. Like you, I had to return to parts express. 22's and 24's are the same speaker from everything I've read. Nice sounding little bookshelf speakers. Good solid bass too. You'll enjoy them after the recap. FYI, Vinatge AR on ebay has the correct compound to put on the cloth surrounds. Bass response will be even better after the surrounds are done.

I've got the 22's. Same dual cap set up. Like you, I had to return to parts express. 22's and 24's are the same speaker from everything I've read. Nice sounding little bookshelf speakers. Good solid bass too. You'll enjoy them after the recap. FYI, Vinatge AR on ebay has the correct compound to put on the cloth surrounds. Bass response will be even better after the surrounds are done.
I saw the info about the proper dope for the surrounds. They don't sound too bad now, but I was thinking of doing that to them eventually too. Not that some of the "homebrews" that people have come up with are bad, but I want to use the correct dope, if possible.

I have those too, and I quickly looked at the cap and then ordered new ones, and was surprised when I looked again and thought I had the wrong cap. Lucky for me I ordered some other caps as well.

I saw the info about the proper dope for the surrounds. They don't sound too bad now, but I was thinking of doing that to them eventually too. Not that some of the "homebrews" that people have come up with are bad, but I want to use the correct dope, if possible.

I actually had great success using a flexible undercoating (spray kind in a can) on some 23's. But after reading further that a lot of these various fixes seem to work in short term, but who knows how they'll hold up over time I started to order in the proper dope for all my other KLH's (23's second set, 6's,5's,17's, and 22's). I tried the permatex on cloth surrounds on some Optimus 1's. Big mistake. Ended up scraping those woofs and found original replacements. Optimus 1's were RS answer to the KLH 6. Probably closer to the 17 in actuality.
Nice under the radar speakers.

Slow project, but finally getting there. Replaced the caps in one of the speakers. Noticeable difference in the clarity of the tweeter. Picture shows what went out and what went in.

Attachments

• PICT0081.jpg
    PICT0081.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 150
Slow project, but finally getting there. Replaced the caps in one of the speakers. Noticeable difference in the clarity of the tweeter. Picture shows what went out and what went in.

About to recap my KLH 24s (same cap set up as above) and just want to confirm that white rectangular component is a cement resister. If so, 8 ohm, 10%, 2 leads? I've already got the caps.

Last edited:
About to recap my KLH 24s (same cap set up as above) and just want to confirm that white rectangular component is a cement resister. If so, 8 ohm, 10%, 2 leads? I've already got the caps.
I found my sketch I made of the crossover when I took it apart. It shows a 3 ohm resistor 7 watts as the original. I put a 10 watt version of a 3 ohm in my replacement, even though it didn't need to be replaced. I confirmed it with a picture that I took of the original.

I found my sketch I made of the crossover when I took it apart. It shows a 3 ohm resistor 7 watts as the original. I put a 10 watt version of a 3 ohm in my replacement, even though it didn't need to be replaced. I confirmed it with a picture that I took of the original.

Thanks very much. By the way, that pic you took of the before and after recap is printed in color and sitting beside me as I type. It is as close to a step by step as anyone could expect and very helpful.

Super. Thanks so much. And very good to see that you're wearing the correct headgear ;)

Just a quick report back. Replaced the caps and resistors on the KLH 24's. Piece of cake thanks to you, Boto. Hooked 'em back up. A little muted at first but opened up nicely in about an hour's playing time. I'm guessing they'll probably be a little further break in going forward.

Well a problem seems to have emerged in one of the KLH-24's. Recently unpacked them from a move (CT to VA), hooked them up and not getting sound from the woofer of one of 'em. Opened it up, all connections were solid and correct. Removed the woofer and measured resistance at 5.35 ohms which isn't perfect but should be within tolerance. Checked out the caps that I replaced and they're measuring in spec. Any and all assistance appreciated.

Edit: tweeter appears to be fine.

Last edited:
Well a problem seems to have emerged in one of the KLH-24's. Recently unpacked them from a move (CT to VA), hooked them up and not getting sound from the woofer of one of 'em. Opened it up, all connections were solid and correct. Removed the woofer and measured resistance at 5.35 ohms which isn't perfect but should be within tolerance. Checked out the caps that I replaced and they're measuring in spec. Any and all assistance appreciated.

Edit: tweeter appears to be fine.
I'm assuming you've already switched to the opposite channel on your amplifier and checked balance etc. Otherwise, frozen voice coil? Does it move when you push on the cone?

I'm assuming you've already switched to the opposite channel on your amplifier and checked balance etc. Otherwise, frozen voice coil? Does it move when you push on the cone?
Excellent call and I do thank you. Frozen voice coil. No movement whatsoever. I'm assuming the fix is to replace the woofer?

Back
Top Bottom