What small vintage speakers are in your collection?

asp69

Just curious what small vintage (bookshelf type) speakers do you guys have in your collections? My small keepers so far are: KLH Model 22, Wharfedale W35, and Mission 70 mkII. I enjoy running these on my Sansui 1000X and my Yamaha CR-400.

KEF 103.2 powered by a Pioneer SX-950 in my small listening room. I have many more speakers, and larger ones too, but these KEFs just do everything right.

Got some Lafayette Minuette II speakers in the garage that sound better than they should. 2 way with the oval mid/bass drivers.

AR 4x's, JBL 4301b's, Bose Series 301 Series II, Design Acoustics PS-10's.
Edit: forgot the Minimus 7's, two pairs.

Edit: Since I posted this, the 4x’s, 301s, and PS-10s have moved on.

Last edited:
Two pairs of Minimus 7s (in alloy and walnut veneer finishes)... they don't get much smaller than this! ;)

Dynaco A25, Smaller Advent and Ohm Model L. All about the same size but they all sound very different. I could live with any of these but my preference is definitely the Dynaco.

Just finished rebuilding a set of EPI 100's (M). Baby advents also still around but enjoying the EPI's right now.

Not too many small, vintage loudspeakers here. I do have pair of Cambridge Soundworks Seventeens -- not terribly vintage, though. Those are actually "on line" with a CRT TV and DVD/VCR :p in our 'den' on the first floor (we don't do much TV).

I certainly don't consider Dynaco A-25/Epicure 100 sized speakers "small" (FWIW). I used to have a pair of EPI 60 or 70 (cannot remember which any more) which were small and quite nice; gave them to someone here at AK. I also had a pair of AR-18s for a while; very nice and fairly small... but those also have been passed along to someone who needed them more than I.

I have a pair of Radio Shack Solo-103s. Hey, they're "acoustical suspension"; who knew?

045.jpg

There is still a pair of the ubiquitous (and thoroughly mediocre) Minimus-7s somewhere in the dank recesses of the basement.

Probably the best sounding small-ish loudspeakers that ever passed through here was a pair of IMF SuperCompact IIs... but again, not really small (probably about 1 ft^3).

Back
Top Bottom