Replacing my Cerwin-Vega's..

Restless

Heya everyone,

I've been checking out some speakers, and doing some serious listening. And I've decided to get rid of my VS-120's, with the new amp I bought (Nad C356DAC) I feel it's time to get some serious speakers (within reasonable price for now haha).

Due to the size of my room I assume my best would be bookshelfs, or small towers. I'd prefer bookshelfs. I was looking at the Totem Arro, but I've read it lacks the punch you sometimes need in music. My room is about 13 bij 14-16 feet long. I would be placing the speakers in lengthways if this makes any sense.

I listened to a pair of Kef LS50, which sounded good, did not bring my own music so I was limited to the "popular radio" songs.

After some research there are some speakers I'd like to hear;

Klipsch RB-81
DefTech SM55
Kef LS 50
Totem Arro (This would be in the used market).

I listen to most types of music, but I have to say it consists of Rock, Dubstep, D 'n B, Pop, Hardstyle, Electro, EDM and Rap. The kind of music with a bit more bass than other genres.
(Examples of music; Rolling Stones, Blackmill, Lil Jon, Calvin Harris, Datsik, Nero, The Brookes Brothers)

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Or could even recommend other speakers which I did not include ? I read good things about the JBL Studio 530, would this fit my taste ?

Cheers !!

Last edited:
I listen to a lot of similar music. If you are going to go with tiny bookshelves or tiny floor-standers, then you are going to need a sub, period. I'd even go as far as to say that you should put more thought into what sub you are going to get than anything. Cerwin-Vega speakers may not be the most elegant or refined, but bass is one thing they do right. It won't be difficult getting better mids and highs, but you're going to be very disappointed if your new setup doesn't include a good sub.

Last edited:
For the music you love, it might be hard to find something that would work a lot better than what you have. I have a pair of D-5s here (older version of your VS-120) and for rocking out they are the go-to speaker.

You might consider a pair of bookshelves with a good mid/high reputation and stack them on the VS-120s and let the CVs handle the low end.

And what about the Klipsch Rb81?

And I don't like subs haha. I was looking at Mythos STS or STL and the Cerwin XLS215. Money would be a factor and I'd have to wait a little longer though.

Would the xls215 outplay the mythos sts?

I listen to a lot of similar music. If you are going to go with tiny bookshelves or tiny floor-standers, then you are going to need a sub, period. I'd even go as far as to say that you should put more thought into what sub you are going to get than anything. Cerwin-Vega speakers may not be the most elegant or refined, but bass is one thing they do right. It won't be difficult getting better mids and highs, but you're going to be very disappointed if your new setup doesn't include a good sub.

I know but I feel my Vegas are WAY to bassy! So a little less wouldn't be a problem haha.

Heya everyone...

... My room is about 13 bij 14-16 feet long. I would be placing the speakers in lengthways if this makes any sense...

Cheers !!

Not entirely sure what you mean by "lengthways." Usually the best way to state this is by identifying the wall behind the speakers, as in "along the short wall" or "along the long wall." By "lengthways" my perception would be "along the short wall," ie, the short wall behind the speakers which radiate down the length of the room. Just trying to aid with Audio Lingo 1001, not meaning to be a smart-ass.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure what you mean by "lengthways." Usually the best way to state this is by identifying the wall behind the speakers, as in "along the short wall" or "along the long wall." By "lengthways" my perception would be "along the short wall," ie, the short wall behind the speakers which radiate down the length of the room. Just trying to aid with Audio Lingo 1001, not meaning to be a smart-ass.

I mean along the short wall then haha.

I saw a nice ad for the RB81's, 450 euro's for the pair. New in sealed box apparently, would the 8Inch give enough bass for my music tastes ? And, I can also get a pair of XLS15's for 265 Euro's each. I know this adds more bass, but if they are a better speaker I'll be willing to get some of the acoustic panels and such...

Anyone who can give their opinion on either of those ?

Back
Top Bottom