Sound quality Yamaha B4' B5

muddasir

Hi i have a pair of Yamaha B4 and B5 available for sale in used market. Cannot really auditio it there its 120 wpc /30wpc ClassA and 240 wpc per channel respectively .i intend to biamp them vertically to power mid and high section with B4 in Class A and B5 running lows of B&W 802. Any one using them may guide,comments views please

B5 is the Japan version of the M-2 sans meters.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-M-2.html

The B-4 is similar" to an M-4, but possibly better. More A-1=ish with two transformers, four PS filter caps, and class A operation. Should sound glorious.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-M-4.html

Look for recap and repair threads on both amps here. The B-5 will likely have DSBG on the power supply board in the front. The M-4, as I recall, has a smattering of glue here and there but wasn't as big a problem as some other amps given there is only 'lytics in the power supply.

Last edited:
ok got both B5. tried B5 its just glorious. Can u please guide/links on upgrade threads.What about B4,,,, a pair is waiting for sale, thinking for bi-amping class A two B4's !!! any ideas about upgrade

Not much to do on either, they both contain zero electro's in the audio path.

Maybe recap, definitely address any DSBG issues (see my sig links) and enjoy them. M4/B4 is the easiest ever to recap. M2/B5 a bit of a pain with the power supply/meter board in front.

ok got both B5. tried B5 its just glorious. Can u please guide/links on upgrade threads.What about B4,,,, a pair is waiting for sale, thinking for bi-amping class A two B4's !!! any ideas about upgrade

:worthless:

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Here's hoping you're not a one hit wonder here and will share your find.

I am new to AK but decided I would revive an old thread:

I just received a Yamaha B-5 amp from a dealer in Hong Kong and all that I can say is I am extremely pleased with both the condition and sound. Instead of lots of talk I will give you a look. It's paired with a C-4 preamp and they of course sound lovely together:

I am using a PowerBright VC3000J voltage transformer to send 100V down to the amp from the 120V in my wall and it's trouble free. No hum and no extraneous noise of any kind, just power. The PowerBright is nice and heavy itself and I figured 3000 watts would have me well covered for the B-5's 560 watt rating. It's truly an understated beauty.

Thanks man! I've been lurking these parts for a while and can't thank you guys enough for the various comments/info/opinions on Yamaha gear. I've been a Yamaphile since age 12 (AX-400U...still works!!) and love every piece I own. The C-4 will have to go back in for repair (self-shutdown problem on both phono and aux inputs) but when it's on it drives the B-5 with ease, even my little Panasonic portable dvd player sounded good. Power.

Back
Top Bottom