whats the difference? A-S500 VS. AX-500u

greg s

ive been considering adding some new equipment to go along with my vintage stuff, but the integrated i have been looking at is the Yamaha A-S500. i already have the older AX-500U and as near as i can tell the specs are virtually the same. can someone shed some light on this. will the newer yammie be enough of an upgrade sonically or is it mainly just an added ipod port and a sub out?

No iPod port on the a-s500. You can plug in one of the available docks like the yid-w10; but no dedicated USB port.
I'm not familiar the other Yamaha you have but the a-s500 is a very impressive sounding amp; my favorite among those I have:thmbsp:

these are the specs that yamaha gave for the ax-500u

Attachments

• AX 500 d %28Large%29.jpg
    AX 500 d %28Large%29.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 71
The AX-500 came out at the ultimate time in terms of hi-fi quality. This was when designers had fully learned how to how to make a brilliant amp, and right before they started putting all manner of junk in the signal path of all amps (as an attempt of innovation), so it should be the better amp on paper. It also uses some seriously world famous output transistors, that have crazy excellent measurements. It's a simple but incredibly competently designed amp that basically cannot be beaten in terms of performance.

well that is good to know it makes me want to fix the other 2 i have so i can have 3 of them going.

The AX-500 came out at the ultimate time in terms of hi-fi quality. This was when designers had fully learned how to how to make a brilliant amp, and right before they started putting all manner of junk in the signal path of all amps (as an attempt of innovation), so it should be the better amp on paper. It also uses some seriously world famous output transistors, that have crazy excellent measurements. It's a simple but incredibly competently designed amp that basically cannot be beaten in terms of performance.

The AX-500 was a nice amp for the money, but we had plenty of others in the shop that could indeed beat it for sound quality.

The AX-500 was a nice amp for the money, but we had plenty of others in the shop that could indeed beat it for sound quality.
i was curious where it sat vs the a-s500/501 i have no doubt that many many integrated amps outperform it.

Back
Top Bottom