Noob needs speaker, CD player recommendations for incoming A-S501

Bon Scott

I just bought an A-S501 that will probably be delivered some time next week. I own a pair of old Snell Jii speakers that seem to be in good shape, and I may well continue to use them with my old Sherwood receiver, so I'm looking for new speakers to match the new Yamaha amp and not really sure how to narrow it down.

I think I'd like stand-mount bookshelf speakers but would consider smaller-footprint floor standers, too. Budget is $350-600 for the pair (not including stands). I mostly listen to rock and blues, but also a lot of jazz and some classical. The system is in a smallish room (12x15 with 8' ceilings) that has some acoustic treatment (bass traps in three corners and at first reflection points on the sides and overhead). I'll be playing CDs and some vinyl, perhaps some old cassette tapes.

Some speakers that have caught my eye are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and 80th Anniversary Denton, the Focal 706v, and the KEF Q300. Not sure if any of those are a good match or how to tell what sonic qualities would pair well with the sonic characteristics of the amp. Obviously not personally sure what those characteristics are, but probably similar to its predecessor, the A-S500, so recommendations based on that amp might be relevant? I can probably listen to the 10.1 and 706v locally but probably not with my amp.

As for the CDP, the budget is up to $500 or so. I'd like it to have some sort of USB capability. Again, it seems that CDPs have different sonic qualities (like smoother top end, more open, more trebly, etc.), and I would like to get my head around understanding how that would match up with the amp and any speakers.

Any input greatly appreciated! I'm pretty green in the home audio department and new to AK, so if I'm missing some real basic points, please do not hestiate to let me know about it!

i had a listen to the yamaha cds700 a couple of months back its a lovely player and it has a usb input it would mach your new amp nicely or there's the cdn500 witch is also a network player with usb.
congrats on the new amp enjoy :)

Thanks for the suggestions, boza. Those players look nice but a little more than I want to spend unless I come across an open box/sale/b-stock unit. I've been checking out the Marantz CD6005, the Yamaha CD-S300, and the Onkyo C-7030.

Anyone else care to offer some suggestions on speakers and/or a CDP that might mate well with this particular amp and as a system?

Out of the three the marantz would be the one ide go for .
Sory i cant be much help on speakers ime not sure what is available over there but i have a pair of kef q35 that go well with my yamaha amp

energy makes some wonderful bookshelfs you should consider the RC-10. i have heard them being driven by an emotiva seperate with a decent sub and they just rock for as tiny as they are

I have a cd-s300 and like it very much with the a-s500. It sounds great and is built quite well. I also like the USB input...although if I recall you have a built in dac on the a-s501. I think you'll enjoy the Yamaha sound:thmbsp:

energy makes some wonderful bookshelfs you should consider the RC-10. i have heard them being driven by an emotiva seperate with a decent sub and they just rock for as tiny as they are

Thanks for the recommendation, Greg. I'll look into those.

I have a cd-s300 and like it very much with the a-s500. It sounds great and is built quite well. I also like the USB input...although if I recall you have a built in dac on the a-s501. I think you'll enjoy the Yamaha sound:thmbsp:

Thanks for the endorsement on the cd-s300, SuperLead100. It would be nice if it came in silver to match the silver amp I've ordered, although the black won't deter me from it because most CDPs at my price point seem to be black.

Anyone else with suggestions?

One more vote for the CD-S300 which is a great CDP with great USB functions. Works well with an iPhone too. You can also use the same remote that comes with the amp.

Thanks Joshua Tree. Do you know if the CD-S300 works with an android phone through the USB? Not sure I'd use that too much, but would be a nice option in the right circumstance.

There's a long thread on here i was reading earlier about the Wharfedale 80th anniversary Denton's...the general consensus seems to be that they are very good speakers, especially for the Music Direct sale price ($500)

i'd suggest you look up that thread and do some reading there.

Do you know if the CD-S300 works with an android phone through the USB? Not sure I'd use that too much, but would be a nice option in the right circumstance.
I have no clue cause I'm an Apple user, better check at the CD-S300 user guide on the Yamaha web site. I find that feature highly useful for listening to podcasts or streaming services.

Back
Top Bottom