Thinking about buying a CR2020

10sguru

Like the title says I am looking at buying a CR2020 but according to the current owner it does have some sort of thermal issue. Sometimes it will shut down after only 15 minutes of operation and other times it may run for a couple of hours. In both instances once it cools down it turns back on. One vintage repair shop I spoke to said they no longer repair this model due to issues related to the regulator board overheating into a non-repairable condition. Just looking for a second/expert opinion from someone in this forum. Thanks.

I spoke to said they no longer repair this model due to issues related to the regulator board overheating into a non-repairable condition. Just looking for a second/expert opinion from someone in this forum. Thanks.
Pure bullshit.They just don't want to deal with it.Its not fast & easy money for them.Probably don't T-shoot down to component level either. If they can't pop in a new circuit board or assembly they're lost.

Last edited:
There are many techs on AK that can likely fix this vintage beauty if you don't mind shipping the unit.

I would also suggest looking into purchasing a unit that actually works. They are out there.

Ken

Yea I have no problem shipping to someone who can not only repair the unit but also bring it up to spec. As a newb to AK I have done some searching regarding vintage receiver repair and see that Merrylander appears to be one of the resident Yamaha gurus but it doesn't look like he is takiing any new projects. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who have already replied.

Hope I'm not violating any AK rules here but if it were me I'd try asking avionic if he'd be willing to take it on. I have no personal experience with his work but from what I can see he comes highly recommended around here and rightfully so; it looks like he loves what he does. As you can see, he always most generous with his good advice and knowledge. :thmbsp: :yes:

Yea I have no problem shipping to someone who can not only repair the unit but also bring it up to spec. As a newb to AK I have done some searching regarding vintage receiver repair and see that Merrylander appears to be one of the resident Yamaha gurus but it doesn't look like he is takiing any new projects. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all who have already replied.

Where are you located? While shipping to a good tech may be your best option, I believe that NOT shipping is always preferable (if at all possible).

Yep, that's an easy trip. I have only been a member of this site for two days and the response to my first post has been terrific. What a terrific group of people. I owned a CR1020 which I purchased in the late seventies and have missed it ever since I gave it to my girl friend in the early 80's and when we broke up the only regret I had is I didn't try to get her back:tears:, the Yammie that is :D. Now I have a new mission. Thanks again everyone. I have just sent PayPal $25 to become an official subscriber.

I am also under the spell of this beastie.
But I wonder if the CR-3020 is also known for the same heating problems or if it is only specifically related to the CR-2020 ?

The only heating problem the CR-3020 has is with the 25 volt regulator transistors. A service bulletin was issued recommending the existing 2SD234 transistors be replaced with 2SD525 but those are NLA, a TIP41C will do or a 2SD613. What I did with my personal CR-2020 was to replace the heatsinks with some I found at Radio Shack. They are about an inch square with four fins. Be sure to use insulators as the collectors of those transistors are at opposite polarity 40-50 volt potentials.

I have not noted any heat problems with the CR-3020 but there is one 2SD234 on the power board that does get warmer than the others.

Quick update. I have just scored a :deal: on a used CR2020 for $189 shipped. Thanks to JohnVF :beerchug: for the tip on this unit which he saw on the sales floor at Decibel Audio in Chicago which looked to be in good shape. Nothing like a boots on the ground reference from a fellow AK'r who also happens to own one of these beauties :thmbsp:. Also thanks to P.M. Summer :beerchug: for the technician repair referral to Terry DeWick in Knoxville. I will certainly be paying him a visit to have her checked out.

merrylander - As the "Yoda" of vintage Yamaha audio any other tips, words of wisdom, recommendations, service bulletins, etc related to the CR2020 I should pass along to Terry that will help improve the longevity of this vintage machine?

Again a big thanks to everyone's advice and input which enabled me to reach back in time. Cheers

Jim

The service bulletins are on the Yamaha manual site and improved heat sinking on those two transistors will help

Quick update. I have just scored a :deal: on a used CR2020 for $189 shipped. Thanks to JohnVF :beerchug: for the tip on this unit which he saw on the sales floor at Decibel Audio in Chicago which looked to be in good shape. Nothing like a boots on the ground reference from a fellow AK'r who also happens to own one of these beauties :thmbsp:. Also thanks to P.M. Summer :beerchug: for the technician repair referral to Terry DeWick in Knoxville. I will certainly be paying him a visit to have her checked out.

merrylander - As the "Yoda" of vintage Yamaha audio any other tips, words of wisdom, recommendations, service bulletins, etc related to the CR2020 I should pass along to Terry that will help improve the longevity of this vintage machine?

Again a big thanks to everyone's advice and input which enabled me to reach back in time. Cheers

Jim

Congrats Jim! :thmbsp:

It's a wonderful looking and sounding receiver and I hope you enjoy listening to (and looking at yours) as much as the rest of us lucky CR-2020 owners do.:music:

Please post a pic or two so we can have a look at 'er.:yes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accuphase: P-300 amp
Classé: Cap-151
Harman Kardon: HK730 / 930
Hofi: Integra 5.1 Amp / Xara CD transport
Kenwood: KA907, KA-801 / KT-615
Marantz: 2230, 2240B, 2270, 2285B, 2325, 4240, 4270, 4300
Parasound: HCA 2200II AMP
Pioneer: SA-9500II / TX 9500II, SX1250, SX1010, SX980, SX950, 9930
Sansui: 9090 / 990DB / AU717
Sony: TA-3200 TA2000x2, and 2000F Pre-amp/amp, STR-6065, 7065
Yamaha: CR-1020 / 2020 / 3020

Speakers: Pioneer HPM-1500's, HPM-900's, Klipsch Heresy II, Forte II's,
KG-2's--JBL 4412A / 4312B / S-38's, Ohm Model L, Norman Labs Model 8's Advent /1 + "New" Large & KEF 103.2's

W1jim, the link you referenced obviously refers to a service bulletin. Would you happen to know what #? Thanks.

I'm happy they still had it. Congrats.. I didn't get a super close look at the sides of the cabinet but the faceplate looked really nice. I hope the performance matches...but everything I've bought from them in the past has worked well. They're good people. No affiliation, just an occasional customer.

W1jim, the link you referenced obviously refers to a service bulletin. Would you happen to know what #? Thanks.
This should get you started. The SB upgrades are fairly simple-
http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/

#1 - http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=73
#2 - http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=74
#3 - http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=75

Enjoy the music and the sense of accomplishment of making it all good. Just be careful - think twice, solder once.

Back
Top Bottom