Sony Pre amplifier 2000 F-TA...where to start?!

Hi there....just got a hold of a Sony 2000 F-TA pre amp. I've never used a pre amp before and was wondering the best way to hook up my Sansui 551 power amp up to the pre amp. I'm aware that the speakers are powered by the Sansui and I should hook up the rest of my componets to the pre amp. The Sansui doesn't have a mains out/in. Can I hook them up using my aux on my Sansui. Also...If they are hooked up and all my components (TT, tape deck etc...) does that make the controls on my Sansui redundant. Meaning that I don't need to turn anything off or down on my Sansui since I am using the Sony pre amp now. Thanks for being patient with a newbie. Cheers.

Aux input on your Sansui takes a source level input and runs it through the Sansui preamplifier section to produce a line level signal that is fed to the amp in the receiver. Supplying the line level output from the Sony into the source level input on the Sansui will run it through the preamplifier on the Sansui and overload it. You need to be able to bypass the preamp and you can't do that with the Sansui.

You need to be able to separate the pre from the main. The A-80 won't do that either.

You need a power amp, or an integrated amp or receiver with pre out and main in jacks. I have the matching Sony amp for your Sony Preamp. Wish I had the preamp! :D

OK all these folks that say you can't. I'm gonna say you can.

But you will be using the entire 551 after you let the 2000F have fun with the signal.

Plug all your inputs into the 2000F and then go from there to the 551 AUX input, use the main output and all the controls of the 2000F will work the signal. You probably want to use a volume setting where both volume controls are at about half. Don't make one really high or really low. Enjoy the fun but be sure to turn off the 551 before you mess with anything or at lest turn the volume down all the way on the receiver.

At least this way you can find out what the Sony can do for you, tone controls with turnover frequencies, filters, mode switch, input level controls on the back, output level switch on the back, meters and level, headphone amp built in, phono impedance and all that.

I believe if you want to you can go from a tape output on the 551 to the tuner input on the 2000 and if you plug the 2000 into the tape input, you can then when selecting tuner on the 551 and on the 2000 have that signal get modified by way too much stuff before you hear it. A long wire with stuff to control the signal. Nothing like the proverbial 'straight wire with gain' that many look for.

Be careful with the volume controls until you learn how this hook up works.

Last edited:
Your set up will work as explained by Blue Shadow, and it really won't hurt anything but when running the output of one preamp into the input of another preamp, you have two sets of controls to contend with, plus the noise floor level will be high meaning unnecessary or unwanted hiss and tone coloring that might be too excessive.

The tape output (rec) on the 551 would send a signal...out. It would allow you to put the 551 on tuner and route that tuner signal to the 2000. If you use that option and want the signal to come back to the 551, you would need put the 2000 output into the 551 tape input (play) and use the tape monitor to select the 2000.

But you need to add to your gear, get a proper power amp that will work with your speakers and use the 2000 with that.

Step back and try just one unit through the sony into the 551. Say the CDP or phono. Set the sony to 1.0 volt output (Switch on the back) and hook up main output to the aux on on the 551.

If this does not work, use the sony tape output to the aux input of the 551 and let us (me) know.

Ok Blue Shadow....I will try that. Sorry for the reply...been away for a bit. The Sony looks clean/outside and in...no signs of bad anything. Powers up and lamps work...but have serious doubts about it. Will let you know...Thanks for the help and advice...Cheers. Dom

Hey Blue Shadow....when I said I tried everything maybe I am missing something involving the switches on the front of the Sony...there is a ton of them.

Well now you have a real preamp with lots of control flexibility. There are others with just input selection and volume control.

See what happens, I'll wait.

Of course you have gotten a manual for it haven't you? If you can't find the F on line, the TA-2000, the preamp I had is very similar and its manual is on hifiengine where you can download it if you join.

Last edited:
Those are very nice preamps. A bit ahead of some of the other brands of that time. I was surprised at the use of so many film caps over lytics. Definitely worth fixing if something is wrong. Hifiengine should have one or the other manual. They are almost the same. Minor changes internally. All switches,jacks and controls should be the same between the F and non F model.

Cheers! It's working! Went the first route....aux. Phono right channel is a bit weak. Weak on Stereo but fine on L+R. Gonna fiddle with it a bit. I'm on hi-fi engine....will look for the manual but think they just have the repair manual not the manual with how everything functions etc...thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom